1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Water storage

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by k15n1, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Dec 5, 2013
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

I've been storing water in 1+ gal food-grade containers for about 6 mo. It's fine but I don't come by many of those non-milk-jug type containers. Also, they require a shelf, which is reserved for other SS items, like jars of food.

I do have some 55-gal drums in the garage that I'd like to use for storing water. They had vasaline in them, so they're not strictly food grade. But if I clean them out with a rubber spatula and soapy water, I'd be comfortable using them in conjunction with a food-grade liner. Is there someplace online that sells liners in small quantities? This link below is for cartons of 25, which would end up costing hundreds of dollars.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/material-handling/drum-barrel/drum-liners/drum-inserts-liners

2. Dec 6, 2013
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

I don't know if they are available in your area but look/ask about food grade plastic drums used to ship olives [greece italy and spain] pickles Jewish deli and products from Mexico. Usually they are non returnable. Here they used to be free for the asking but a ladies group turned it into a fund raising project they paint the outside and sell them as rain barrels and/or large planters. They are doing well with this project.

3. Dec 7, 2013
    DeniseCharleson

DeniseCharleson Power Conserver

Several years ago, I sought out the manager of a nearby Coca Cola distribution center. They receive beverage concentrates (syrups) in 50-gallon food-grade plastic barrels. He wasn't allowed to sell them, but acknowledged that records were not kept on the number of empty barrels he returned. For the cost of doughnuts for the employee break room, we secured four barrels.

4. Dec 7, 2013
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

It might have been a bottler because now the syrups are handled by distributors in 5 gallon ss tanks which can be pressurized with carbon dioxide.

5. Dec 7, 2013
    DeniseCharleson

DeniseCharleson Power Conserver

The sign on the building said "Distribution Center."

6. Dec 9, 2013
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

You Win I didn't see the sign. but it does make me wonder who is set up to use 50 gallon drums of beverage concentrates. ~gd

7. Dec 10, 2013
    k15n1

Found a source. I ordered 5. Now it's -3 oF and that vasaline is going to be really hard to deal with. Maybe I'll bring the barrel inside for a few hours before I try to scrape it out. Then there's the washing...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=34137

Should I touch-up damaged paint on the outside of the barrel? I'm planning on putting it on some 2x2 lumber in the basement.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this thing is going to sweat like crazy in the summer. Will the water be close enough to the right temp to avoid this? Ooh, I could put some polystyrene foam insulation INSIDE the barrel, with the liner inside of that. Some bubble-wrap packing material would probably be as good and take up less space...

8. Dec 10, 2013
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

What are you going to do about the top? You might want to take a look at this
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=67288&cat=2,2280,54307
    it was akit to hold rainwater but should work for drinking water. note that is a kit.
    i have wondered since I first read your post how would you wash vasaline out of a drum water won't work and frankly I'm unsure about steam cleaning. ~gd

9. Dec 10, 2013
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

What a cool idea, ~gd. Thanks for posting that link!

10. Dec 10, 2013
    k15n1

I'm planning on scraping it out with a rubber spatula. Then, probably wipe it out with paper towels. When it's down to a greasy film, I'll use soap and hot water. I'll let you know how it turns out.