Water storage

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been storing water in 1+ gal food-grade containers for about 6 mo. It's fine but I don't come by many of those non-milk-jug type containers. Also, they require a shelf, which is reserved for other SS items, like jars of food.

I do have some 55-gal drums in the garage that I'd like to use for storing water. They had vasaline in them, so they're not strictly food grade. But if I clean them out with a rubber spatula and soapy water, I'd be comfortable using them in conjunction with a food-grade liner. Is there someplace online that sells liners in small quantities? This link below is for cartons of 25, which would end up costing hundreds of dollars.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/material-handling/drum-barrel/drum-liners/drum-inserts-liners

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if they are available in your area but look/ask about food grade plastic drums used to ship olives [greece italy and spain] pickles Jewish deli and products from Mexico. Usually they are non returnable. Here they used to be free for the asking but a ladies group turned it into a fund raising project they paint the outside and sell them as rain barrels and/or large planters. They are doing well with this project.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Several years ago, I sought out the manager of a nearby Coca Cola distribution center. They receive beverage concentrates (syrups) in 50-gallon food-grade plastic barrels. He wasn't allowed to sell them, but acknowledged that records were not kept on the number of empty barrels he returned. For the cost of doughnuts for the employee break room, we secured four barrels.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
Several years ago, I sought out the manager of a nearby Coca Cola distribution center. They receive beverage concentrates (syrups) in 50-gallon food-grade plastic barrels. He wasn't allowed to sell them, but acknowledged that records were not kept on the number of empty barrels he returned. For the cost of doughnuts for the employee break room, we secured four barrels.
It might have been a bottler because now the syrups are handled by distributors in 5 gallon ss tanks which can be pressurized with carbon dioxide.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
~gd said:
It might have been a bottler ...
The sign on the building said "Distribution Center."
You Win I didn't see the sign. but it does make me wonder who is set up to use 50 gallon drums of beverage concentrates. ~gd

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Found a source. I ordered 5. Now it's -3 oF and that vasaline is going to be really hard to deal with. Maybe I'll bring the barrel inside for a few hours before I try to scrape it out. Then there's the washing...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=34137

Should I touch-up damaged paint on the outside of the barrel? I'm planning on putting it on some 2x2 lumber in the basement.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this thing is going to sweat like crazy in the summer. Will the water be close enough to the right temp to avoid this? Ooh, I could put some polystyrene foam insulation INSIDE the barrel, with the liner inside of that. Some bubble-wrap packing material would probably be as good and take up less space...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Found a source. I ordered 5. Now it's -3 oF and that vasaline is going to be really hard to deal with. Maybe I'll bring the barrel inside for a few hours before I try to scrape it out. Then there's the washing...

Should I touch-up damaged paint on the outside of the barrel? I'm planning on putting it on some 2x2 lumber in the basement.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this thing is going to sweat like crazy in the summer. Will the water be close enough to the right temp to avoid this? Ooh, I could put some polystyrene foam insulation INSIDE the barrel, with the liner inside of that. Some bubble-wrap packing material would probably be as good and take up less space...
What are you going to do about the top? You might want to take a look at this
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=67288&cat=2,2280,54307
it was akit to hold rainwater but should work for drinking water. note that is a kit.
i have wondered since I first read your post how would you wash vasaline out of a drum water won't work and frankly I'm unsure about steam cleaning. ~gd

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
k15n1 said:

What are you going to do about the top? You might want to take a look at this
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=67288&cat=2,2280,54307
it was akit to hold rainwater but should work for drinking water. note that is a kit.
i have wondered since I first read your post how would you wash vasaline out of a drum water won't work and frankly I'm unsure about steam cleaning. ~gd
I'm planning on scraping it out with a rubber spatula. Then, probably wipe it out with paper towels. When it's down to a greasy film, I'll use soap and hot water. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts