water.....

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If the water is safe for you to drink, then it is safe for the chickens.
Good to know!

Thanks everyone, feeling a little better about getting through this 1st winter with chickens-lol. They are a little more needy/sensitive than some other animals I have had to manage.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Good to know!

Thanks everyone, feeling a little better about getting through this 1st winter with chickens-lol. They are a little more needy/sensitive than some other animals I have had to manage.
What were the breeds again? Sorry, forgot if you mentioned

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I collect rainwater and snow when we have it. The chickens prefer it to my high iron well water.

I also have to unhook the hose once we really start freezing so it's hauling water from the house for me in the worst weather if its well or melted snow.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What were the breeds again? Sorry, forgot if you mentioned
Of chickens? Leghorn, Barred Rock, Brahma, and Polish-which the Polish where a cave for DD7-they are not as winter hardy nor do they really lay enough eggs to pull their weight :lol: but she fell in love with their 'rockstar' hair-dos

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I collect rainwater and snow when we have it. The chickens prefer it to my high iron well water.

I also have to unhook the hose once we really start freezing so it's hauling water from the house for me in the worst weather if its well or melted snow.
i could totally melt snow! haha we get enough of it that is for sure.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Of chickens? Leghorn, Barred Rock, Brahma, and Polish-which the Polish where a cave for DD7-they are not as winter hardy nor do they really lay enough eggs to pull their weight :lol: but she fell in love with their 'rockstar' hair-dos
I had Barred Rocks the entire time I had chickens. They handled the winter just fine. Did not have any of your other breeds. Had Golden buffs, two varieties of Wyandottes, and Rhode Island reds. All did fine

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know if polish are cunning like silkies. They figure out getting their heads wet slicks back their crest pretty quick. The overly large crests in silkies were introduced from polish being crossed in.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if polish are cunning like silkies. They figure out getting their heads wet slicks back their crest pretty quick. The overly large crests in silkies were introduced from polish being crossed in.
I was going to trim them up before it got too cold so their feathers on their crest didn't freeze.