Waterford Stanley Wood Cookstove ?

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Positives/Negatives

What are your experiences with any other wood cook stoves - positives/negatives.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No one cooks on wood stoves any longer?!!?

Why not??

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot have one in my current home so it is on the "dream" list for retirement home we are going to build. I have read several great articles on them in Countryside I believe last months issue and Mother Earth news has back articles. Sorry not much help here.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have no idea what kind of stove, but my grandmother cooks on a woodstove at her summer house...

Everything tastes great in it, it's just really time consuming to light the stove to cook something and can get really hot in the summer. They don't have electricity there so the stove and the barbecue is how everything is cooked, and also how they heat water for bathing. (there's no running water either).

We had a cookstove in the house we bought, and took it out in favour of an airtight woodstove that could actually keep us warm... I wish we could have kept the cookstove, but it was so old the bottom had rotted out of the firebox and had old licence plates holding it together.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
THere were some neat stoves posted on here a few weeks ago - do a search that thread should come up!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I used to cook on one and loved it. It takes longer to start up the stove than to turn a burner on but it is so worth it. I miss it.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am interested about wood cookstoves, in regards to using one for times/seasons, when it is more comfortable heating the house for warmth, as you could also be fixing meals for the family at the same time, and in those times when winterstorms cause the electricity to go out.

We decided against moving into the house we were going to move into, issues with the house sinking after every heavy rainstorm, flooding the basement.

We are looking for another place, and I am trying to find a place that has a 1.)large fireplace, or 2.)a place for a wood cookstove, but, the third idea I have, I would not want to use it in the dead cold of winter: 3.)outdoor fireplace/oven/grill/with a wood storing "cubby", made of stone, or brick, and kind of sheltered with a high half circle wall, with a seating area around fireplace for warmth.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We dont have a "cookstove" However, our wood stove I can easily cook on. It has a great flat surface...and I keep a tea kettle on there with water to add humidity back into the room air. The water in there boils easily. So, I would assume I could cook on it if needed. Now, bakeing...Hmmm.
99_newwoodstove2010.jpg

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
There's Coleman camp ovens. I wonder if you could set one on top of there for baking. I used to use one and like it.