WAY COOL! Simple solar "plastic water bottle" lightbulb.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
What kind of sealand can you use with a tin roof?
Duct tape? :lol: It might work....or you can get some apoxy sealant type stuff at the hardware store that comes in those tubes and uses a gun like thing to apply it. You'd have to put the bottle into some kind of sleeve sort of thing like in the video. Good luck with that, it's a great idea!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder if the amount of antifreeze we need at our latitude would stop the sunlight. It sure is worth some experimentation. One sealant that comes to mind is called Mono. It's a thermoplastic caulk that is wonderful for this type of application. MONO

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
There are light tubes like that idea for houses that are sold for cave houses built into hillsides. This is much cheaper!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so thankful I have a Home Depot or Lowes on every corner around my area :p :p

so many people live so hard in this world. but very cool and inventive idea for sure! :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I wonder if the amount of antifreeze we need at our latitude would stop the sunlight. It sure is worth some experimentation. One sealant that comes to mind is called Mono. It's a thermoplastic caulk that is wonderful for this type of application. MONO
What about vodka or rubbing alcohol?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking, but could you just use the glass bottle that the vodka came in rather than the plastic to avoid replacing the bottle from the breakdown that would occur?