WAY COOL! Simple solar "plastic water bottle" lightbulb.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In CO, the UV would eat up that bottle in a year or two. Now a glass bottle filled with alcohol...hmmmmm....that might work. I need to redo the duck pen roof and it does get dark there. I will keep this in mind as I rebuild.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
In CO, the UV would eat up that bottle in a year or two. Now a glass bottle filled with alcohol...hmmmmm....that might work. I need to redo the duck pen roof and it does get dark there. I will keep this in mind as I rebuild.
My dad was a Navy man and has a small collection of those glass pyramid "sky lights" that they used on the ships etc. They are on the expensive side, but they do the same thing.

(I would love to NOT see a Home Depot on every corner frankly...but that is another issue. :p )

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
That is what I was thinking, but could you just use the glass bottle that the vodka came in rather than the plastic to avoid replacing the bottle from the breakdown that would occur?
I would think so!
Hmmm, might try this sooner then later!

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not sure why it needs the liquid?? Isn't kind of a skylight, made from a bottle?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Lesa said:
I am not sure why it needs the liquid?? Isn't kind of a skylight, made from a bottle?
a plain hole will only send light straight down. Water refracts the light, spreading it all directions.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup! It's like the difference between a plain candle and a floating candle. The floating candle puts off a lot more light because of the refraction in the water.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Wifezilla said:
My dad was a Navy man and has a small collection of those glass pyramid "sky lights" that they used on the ships etc. They are on the expensive side, but they do the same thing.

(I would love to NOT see a Home Depot on every corner frankly...but that is another issue. :p )
That is what I thought about when I saw the vid.
Growing up in Mystic, everyone had at least one of these around the house somewhere for a paper weight or something.
http://www.mysticseaport.org/index....productID=27799838-4B54-475C-BAC2E7F81CEC7018

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey that is a good price compared to the ones they sell here at the naval museum. I think they were selling for $30 or more.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I sent this video to my Hubby as a solution to a problem we have in our bathroom. We actually have a HOLE in the ceiling open to the sky (very small) already, and need to repair it. I just suggested to him that we insert one of these. I hope it works!

We don't want to invest in the house because the electric company is buying it in a year out from under us to put in power lines.

Latest posts