We can pick at our dump!!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people are not allowed to anymore but on our island we can. Our dump is a organized dump. House track is binned and taken away. We have a metal pile, building, plastics pile, wood burning pile and a recyling center. We also have a take it or leave it building. Amazing what people put in there. I've gotten bikes with price tags still on them, grills, canning supplies new windows and lot of books. I also find going threw the piles I can get gutters for my Roman aquafer system in the garden. I don't use my well pump. I use rain water only. I run gutter off everything and run it to the gardens. The burn pile is awsome too. Lots of burnable wood and sometimes new construction items that were just ripped out of house. Last week I got a nice set of stair stringers and trim. Thats some money and time saved. :)

We are blessed and pray that the state doesn't close our dump. :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woohoo! I wish ours did. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen something on the curb that I wanted, but was too big for my car. I come back with the truck and the trash trucks have run :(
The dump has chain link with razor wire at the top & warning signs.

I love dumpster diving, I've found so much stuff I can use. Around here, people haul stuff to ravines too, so I pick them over to find useful stuff & to clean the woods up a bit too.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oooh, great idea about the gutter/ Roman aquifer system. Believe I'll use that. I'm thinking of getting one of those huge plastic cube thingies, putting it uphill of the garden, then running hoses or gutters to the garden for watering. Cool!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chipmunk said:
Oooh, great idea about the gutter/ Roman aquifer system. Believe I'll use that. I'm thinking of getting one of those huge plastic cube thingies, putting it uphill of the garden, then running hoses or gutters to the garden for watering. Cool!
Thank you. It's amazing how many people throw hoses and gutter away. Especially after snow storms. :) Gutters take a beating but we take the set up down for the winter. Let gravity do the work O YEAH!!!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I wish we could....we took our recycling to the dump last week and they had the white plastic coated metal shelving, the kind that comes standard in builder grade closets, laying in a pile. We asked if we could have it and the guy told us no.

I need shelves in my goat barn and they would have been perfect!
:barnie

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lori, do you have Freecycle in your area? We often have stuff like that offered on our area Freecycle.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wish we could do that. I know I took a bunch of branches that were too small to burn to our dump. There was a whole pile of good firewood, but they wouldn't let me take it. :(

Woohoo! I wish ours did. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen something on the curb that I wanted, but was too big for my car. I come back with the truck and the trash trucks have run
That's one reason I'm glad I drive a truck now. I can't drive a car due to an injury I received in a car accident, so if I see fire wood, pallets, or something else I can use, I stop and grab it. If I wait, chances are, it won't be there later on. But, it's very rare to find anything any good in the trash around here. This year, I've only gotten a couple of pallets, some tomato cages and a small table.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, we have freecycle but I have only given stuff away...never found anything I wanted. Around here it is mostly home decor, housewares, kids stuff...Craigslist has the free section but you have to watch some of those listings... :/

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
We had a great..."one mans trash/anothers treasure" spot at our recycle center.Sadly it just closed (because non-native, non-english speaking people) were basically hanging out there from morning to dusk, rushing donors as they approached.Arguing and fighting over stuff before it was even unloaded from vehicles got out of hand, so the town just shut it down.Really sucks, for many, many years the locals had a very nice thing going.As with other Americana, its been exploited and ruined...It's cool you can still forage TheFan...enjoy it while you can, nothing last forever...!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We have a "dump" off in the woods. It's where I get the tires for my tater towers. That place is full of everything :/ We get a decent bit of lumber scrap from there too.