We can pick at our dump!!

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WHY don't dumps allow picking?!? I have never understood this. I should think they would be HAPPY to have people take away stuff. At our dump, there is one person who looks the other way. But the other person gets really nasty about it. My son figured as long as he was tossing electronic stuff, he could "trade" and nobody would care. He did that several times and nobody noticed. But I just don't get the "it's our trash and you can't have it!" attitude. :rolleyes:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's all about liability. If someone gets hurt clambering over unstable piles of refuse, the city can be sued.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lucky you!!

In years past, I have left the dump/recycle area with 'stuff'. But now they have signs up - cracked me up, one said 'No way Ho-sey, leave it'. :lol:

i understand the liability side of it, but some people are nimrods and just throw stuff away instead of sorting it and taking it to a thrift shop, etc. One time I came home with some new basket type things that hook on pegboard. I would have gladly paid for them at a thrift shop. There were a lot more on the edge of the pile. All could have been donated.

If you have the time and inclination, why don't you start another thread and tell us how you're making your gutter/ Roman aquifer system.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
We had a great..."one mans trash/anothers treasure" spot at our recycle center.Sadly it just closed (because non-native, non-english speaking people) were basically hanging out there from morning to dusk, rushing donors as they approached.Arguing and fighting over stuff before it was even unloaded from vehicles got out of hand, so the town just shut it down.Really sucks, for many, many years the locals had a very nice thing going.As with other Americana, its been exploited and ruined...It's cool you can still forage TheFan...enjoy it while you can, nothing last forever...!
Why don't you get more pro-active about your situation and try to run all the scumbags out - legally. A group of 20 to 50 people at city counsel meetings gets their attention. Especially if the group returns time after time and is very vocal. We MUST take back America. And it's gonna take some gonads for true American citizens to speak up change things in individual communities. Are you afraid of your government? That's exactly what they want.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
<snip> If you have the time and inclination, why don't you start another thread and tell us how you're making your gutter/ Roman aquifer system.
That sounds interesting - please do.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Running them out legally doesn't work.They stick together and if you voice your opinion at town meetings your labeled a racist.It's the new America, don't you know...? The town tired everything to get the situation under control, it couldn't be done.Their culture is different, they don't understand, and don't really want to understand.The town had no choice,but to close it down to everyone.It's the same with all our social programs, they see us Americans as weak, and exploit them...

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Running them out legally doesn't work.They stick together and if you voice your opinion at town meetings your labeled a racist.It's the new America, don't you know...? The town tired everything to get the situation under control, it couldn't be done.Their culture is different, they don't understand, and don't really want to understand.The town had no choice,but to close it down to everyone.It's the same with all our social programs, they see us Americans as weak, and exploit them...
Sounds typical. The few ruining it for the many and the minority ruling the majority.

Hey Kev where are you from??

I ask that we don't expand on this topic I don't want my thread to be locked. :) I see a pattern. :hide

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Sorry...i'll stick to the topic...i live on eastern Long Island.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Sorry...i'll stick to the topic...i live on eastern Long Island.
Hey don't be sorry. This is how all good discussions progress. Sometimes we drift away from the main subject then someone pulls us back again.

You said in another post "It's the same with all our social programs, they see us Americans as weak, and exploit them..." Yes I think they are absolutely correct . . . the American citizens are very weak and easily exploitable. This is something that every one of American citizens need to correct. We can fight it by exercising our rights (yes we have a few left) and making our lawmakers fear for their positions. Fearful lawmakers are good lawmakers.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
As per TheFans request, i'll leave it alone...:) Boogity, if you have any links to places for these discussions, pm me..