We can pick at our dump!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We're able to pick at our dump; they have two areas, household trash and commercial trash. Salvation Army brings in a van load of stuff once or twice a week of donations they can't sell. There's usually something very nice in there that we can use; from children's Golden Books and toys, to cabinets, mirrors, picture frames and dishes. My DH is always picking up lumber scraps, cutoff lumber ends for kindling, and other construction materials. A week or so ago he found 11 rolls of chain link fence, and since he had the trailer was able to load it all up! Funny story; the fence was tangled up and he didn't have any way to break it apart. He wished aloud for a pair of bolt cutters, and commenced fighting with it again. The rolls were heavy and awkward, so he wasn't getting very far. About 5 minutes later another fella that was scrounging held up a pair of rusty, bent up old bolt cutters and said "These what you're looking for?" A couple snips and snaps later, and he was all loaded up with our next big summer project! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I work for a trash company and am not allowed to pilfer through the roll off boxes full of construction debris that comes in every day. I have to watch as salvageable lumber, bricks and many other items are compacted and taken to the landfill. It makes me sick to see the waste....