We Felt Our First Quake Tonight

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We felt our first quake tonight. A little bitty one. Preliminary reports put it at about 4.7. Very weird though. Oh well, back to sleep. :/

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We felt it too! I was just coming on to post about it, but you beat me to it. My first also. Boy I'll bet it scared the people in Greenbriar pretty good. It shook my whole bed and made the windows rattle. Sounded like low rumbling thunder before the bed shook. Then it wasn't even listed on the usgs yet so I thought it was my imagination. Then dh called from Clinton to tell me that it shook the tv and stuff where he works. Wonder how far it was felt?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
We felt it in Hot Springs too. We are in a very strong concrete building, but I felt some pulsing. Hubby was dozing in the recliner and it woke him up. No damage here.

The weird part was that we felt it almost 5 minutes after the event was recorded there. We are in the mountains and maybe 50 miles away.
I checked and it was 4.7 magnitude. Here's the info about it:

map- http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/nm/022811a/us/index.html

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time

* Monday, February 28, 2011 at 05:00:50 UTC
* Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 11:00:50 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.265N, 92.340W
Depth 7.8 km (4.8 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 22 km (13 miles) NNE of Conway, Arkansas
55 km (34 miles) W of Searcy, Arkansas
58 km (36 miles) N of LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas
70 km (43 miles) SSW of Mountain View, Arkansas

Here's the link I got that from:
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usb0001lpu/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
There was a smaller quake (3.8) in the same area just 18 minutes later, but we didn't feel it. Now that I can say that I have felt a quake, even if it was a little one, I can honestly say that I am good for the rest of my lifetime. No more shaking! :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You must have been closer to it than we were. What area are you?

We didn't get shook much, but I recognized it cause I felt them growing up in central Fla. Used to have lots of little ones in the 70's there.
I would not want a big one here. Don't need to shake the rocks loose on our mountains. Our street is up high enough to be pretty safe, but some streets would probably get falling rock.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
quakes in Arkansas?

I didn't think you had those --well--they can happen all over obviously---but is this COMMON???

wow scary ya'll

I am NC and that is getting mighty close to me now.

hmmm....

super glad everyone is fine! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you hear the rumble then felt the shake it was probably pretty shallow. Not sure if that matters.

Glad to hear your all good. Be safe.

g

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
We had a couple small one a yr or two ago here on Long Island.Didn't really feel much myself.Still kinda scary, when you see what a big quake can do..! I think i'd rather take my chances with a big hurricane ,than a big quake.! We get those more often, but i sure don't like either one of them.
Hopefully, its over for you guys in Ark....!