We Felt Our First Quake Tonight

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Maybe Arkansas will fall into Tx. I've been in a couple quakes in California. It's scary because where you are when it happens controls your survival. It's not like you can see or hear it coming and get to a safe place.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right now we have been having a bunch of earthquakes. Mostly been smaller ones until that one though. A couple of weeks ago my bedroom window mysteriously started rattling, but I didn't feel anything. Greenbriar is having several a day. This morning there have been three already.
Dragonlaurel, I was in your area last Friday to pick up a boat trailer off of craigslist! It was a long trip to get there in the pouring rain!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
You must have been closer to it than we were. What area are you?
We are located in Sharp County, between Hardy, and Ash Flat.

FarmerChick said:
quakes in Arkansas?

I didn't think you had those --well--they can happen all over obviously---but is this COMMON???
Arkansas is experiencing a swarm of quakes presently. Over 700 have been recorded in recent months, although this was this first of them that we have felt locally.

dacjohns said:
Horsepucky. You can't predict earthquakes, especially with any degree of accuracy.
What he said. Although the New Madrid Fault has been given a lot of attention in recent months, and a national level preparedness exercise is planned for May, I don't believe that there is any way to predict a quake in advance. At least not down to the month. The New Madrid is going through a period of increased activity, but I hope that it is just a way to slowly let off tectonic tensions instead of all at once.

To be on the safe side we have performed all of the earthquake preps that we can think of, just in case. :fl

ETA: As of 12 noon today, there have been 14 earthquakes centered in the same area since the 4.7 at 11 pm last night. Most have been in the 2 to 3 range, and three have been magnitude 3 or higher.

Check out this page for a list of recent quakes in the central US. The number of quakes, mostly centered near Guy and Greenbrier Arkansas is unreal.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
k0xxx- Glad you were pretty far from it too. Pretty area up there.

rebecca100- I live near the old bath houses and the public fountains. Have you been to Lake Ouachita? It's beautiful :love and they have boat ramps there.

Dunkopf- We aren't falling anytime soon. But if they got a big one around New Madrid- I'd hate to be near the Mississippi River. The famous New Madrid quake was incredible there.

The 4.7 actually started much deeper than most of the recent ones there. Most of them were around 3 magnitude. I didn't hear anything, but it was a long way from here.

You can predict where quakes are likely and they can tell when the conditions are building for them. They can't predict what month, magnitude, or exact area- so people tend to not listen when warnings are made.

The best way to handle the warnings is to keep the heaviest items in the house down low. Don't hang expensive china collections on the wall. And know what the fastest ways outside are if you feel shaking. Try to not build a house downhill of a cliff of loose rock either.

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I didn't feel it but the tremors were felt just 30 miles away! I was too worried about the tornados! And then I wake up to a mud-washed yard and decided to read about last night's weather. Crazy huh? Dirty rain, tornadoes (there was one 3 miles from my house!!) earthquakes, hail, straight-line winds. glad that night is over!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I read an article this morning on MSNBC news that said researchers were trying to determine if heavy natural gas drilling may be causing earthquake activity.The article stated that there have been over 800 earthquakes since last Sept.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dh drives a truck that pumps the excess water out of those wells. He says some of the wells produce HOT water. So hot that you can't touch it. Don't know what that has to do with the earthquakes, but maybe it signifies something about what is going on down there. The wells are unbelieveable around here. They are EVERYWHERE. We have one across from our house and one behind us currently being drilled.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They have now shut down the injection wells in both Guy and Greenbriar where the earthquakes have been happening. Decided that there was enough evidence that they were causing them to shut them down temporarily until more studies are done. For those who don't know an injection well is one where the water that comes from the producing gas wells is pumped back into the earth and disposed of.