congrats
you are on your way to eating alot of omlettes..HA HA

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
congrats
you are on your way to eating alot of omlettes..HA HA
LOL on sundays we have the farmers brekkie, turkey bacon, and eggs, and sometimes homefries because its the only day of the week we get to eat a decent meal LOLLL.

I can't even TRY my awesome first egg yet, my dad doesn't believe me, so I have to wait until he gets home so he can see it, and then I can eat it :D

DaMommaBean

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My kids saw the movie "Kit Kittridge an American Girl Dolls Adventure". Now they want to be "egg sellers". We are in the process of working on our coop. My oldest son is really "eggsited" about the building job he is doing for our coop. My 2 middle ones are trying to fix up a scooter to ride up and down the street selling eggs. (a kid can dream) The way my family eats hard boiled eggs, I am looking forward to not running to the grocery store just for eggs. Speaking of, after moving chickens what is the best way to ease their stress? I am getting about 5 from the same place. Apparently they are already laying. Any info is appreciated. We are newbies....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sue there are many more experienced people here than I but what works for us.

You should move them in the evening after they have gone in to roost. You can just go in and pick them off the roost. We have used everything from cardboard boxes to dog crates for transport. Then when you get home place them back on the roost. From what I have seen they just wake up the next morning like nothing ever happened.

I just brought in a roo. I made the mistake of leaving him on the floor and not putting hip up. The girls new he did not belong. It's been a couple weeks and he is just starting to hold his own. Good luck.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
new birds
just do everything slow and quiet
less stress
they move usually very well

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats! Our second oldest pullet laid her first egg yesterday..it is so cute! (and very exciting):)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Yippee on the first egg. All that waiting finally paid off. I remember my first eggs. (With almost 50 birds I got my 1st 3 in one day). I was so excited so I know you are thrilled.

Welcome DaMommaBean - Tanks had good info but if you can't move them at night just move them and plan on giving them a few days. If you move them during the day you may have to coax them back into the coop at night until they get their new living arrangments figured out. And if they are already laying they may stop. Mine ladies will stop laying if things get changed around. We put up a new dog pen, plus had a storm a few days later. They quit laying for 4 weeks.

Edited my most obvious spelling errors. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My newer pullets are starting to lay all at once, so I went from a few eggs to a couple of dozen in the fridge all at once! I smell fresh egg Christmas gifts for my patients! :lol:

I, too, find it most exciting to gather eggs, especially those first ones! It's always grand to try to figure out who is laying which egg, compare sizes and colors, and marvel at God's design. I mean, how in the world do they KNOW to go to the nests and lay their eggs? If I were a pullet, I would be thinking..."This is the most uncomfortable bowel movement I've ever HAD!!!" and just drop it anywhere I was at the moment and be glad to get rid of it! :p

Congrats on your first golden sunrise in a pretty, oval box!