We have Kits

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Going with a broomstick method Have raised for meat in the past if done correctly screaming should not be an issue.

Brew

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We also have a trio...SF's. We plan to breed them in a couple of weeks, so should have our first batch ready for freezer camp late June/early July. After researching all the methods for dispatch, we decided on a pellet gun...it's quick and pretty sure. I don't have a problem with the actual dispatching to process, but I don't want them to suffer or be unduly stressed. The plan is to set them down with some irresistible treats and get them between the ears from behind while they're happily munching. It's so fast they shouldn't have time to scream. As FEM said, you never forget that sound. Our buck is a screamer...he got loose in the yard once and the dogs (just little ones) thought it was great fun chasing him...he thought he was running for his life and was screaming as he ran. Another time when we went to get him out of the excersise pen, he did the same thing. The does take things in stride better, he's the skittish one, LOL.

We're trying really hard to get the rabbitry finished. I want to have them settled into it for a week or so before we breed...just to remove any extra stress. We finally have all the materials but now we have to wait for the extra snow we got to melt off so we can work out there. We also need to find some fill dirt. The slope from the house to the fence there was outrageous and we had to add a lot to make it level enough to even walk on. We dug a pit and put 4 55 gal barrels in it for water storage (we're looking at watering restrictions here this summer and our veggies WILL have water) and we used all that dirt but it still has a pretty good sized area that needs to be filled up. So, still a fair bit to do and I'm chomping at the bit for the weather to cooperate, LOL.

We're really looking forward to adding rabbit meat to our diet. The cost of "clean" beef is all but out of reach for us now and DH is allergic to pork, so it rather limits us. We're planning a few small batches of meat chickens over the course of the season so with our chicken and rabbit needs covered, I'm hoping we'll have a bit more $$ in the budget for good grass fed beef.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds like solid plan of attack.

An update on the kits we lost 2 of the runts. I guess it was too many to feed or perhaps they were just not well, they were the smallest, the others are growing at a pretty rapid pace and I was able to sell a trio to a family. Should cover the feed bill for a while, they are already paying for themselves. That is the way I like it.

Brew

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Generally, you will always lose one or two. I have only had a few litters where all the babies were kept.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Seems that we have lost another one. Brings us down to a solid 8. These are huge and all look really healthy. Fur is coming in on them and they are pretty active as well. Exciting to see them grow.

Brew