We May Want to Start Stocking up on Petroleum Products

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I see the 'goods' part of it but I stock my pantry with that stuff anyway LOL
so to me, MORE stocking isn't necessary at this point I guess

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are fine Reinbeau!!! :)

tough time for the east coast

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hi Rein :D

the gas cans are ones we used to use for gas for the lawnmower. But since we bought the push mower, they were just sitting empty. Filling them up in case we need them for the cars isn't a bad idea. I just have to remember to rotate...hence the stabilizer in case I space out.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If the price of petrol goes through the roof, everything will be through the roof as has already been said.

To me that means find storage for

Sugar
Salt
Generic Advil, Tylenol & Aspirin
Antibiotic Ointments
Cookware suitable for flames

staples that we should have a couple of years stock for. I dont' think I need much of modern life "stuff", like gasoline, beauty supplies or many plastics, but those things, I think without them we'd be back in the stone ages!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hi Rein :D

the gas cans are ones we used to use for gas for the lawnmower. But since we bought the push mower, they were just sitting empty. Filling them up in case we need them for the cars isn't a bad idea. I just have to remember to rotate...hence the stabilizer in case I space out.
Yup, he'll put an old tankful into the truck, throw the gas container into the back of it, and fill it up next time he's getting gas. We have a similar stash up in Maine, obviously, that one does tend to sit (we don't live there), so every time we go up we're rotating one or two. It's an easy enough system, I think we've got four five gallon containers here and three up there.

DawnSuiter, you think like I do. I can live without cosmetics (as a matter of fact, I do live without makeup!! :D) but not toilet paper. To me, that's the kind of essential worth stocking up on - but everyone's different.

I will say I missed this stupid computer when the power was out! It's odd how true that little sign is, that I love my computer because my friends live in it! ;) But there was no point to powering it up with the generator, the cable modem was out, too. Lots of destruction around here, thankfully I live on a main grid line, so mine came back sooner than others.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Stock up?

what are you going to stock up?

I can't stock gas truly....so what else would I stock? I truly can't think of anything.....huh
Well, if it doesn't apply to you, then no need to be concerned. Personally, I'm topping off my 200 gallon diesel tank, that powers one of my generators. It's only about half full at the moment. I have two 55 gallon drums set up (but not yet filled) for gasoline as a reserve for my tractor and one of the other generators. I'll be adding the appropriate preservers to each of my tanks.

I had been hoping that, with the price of crude dropping over the last month, that I'd see a larger drop at the pumps. Oh well, I'll just have to pay the price and fill them.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Sure I know petroleum is in everything.

so what to stock....like $5K of building supplies for a project later?

LOL

you can't truly 'stock up' to beat petroleum prices that I can see........

while I understand the need, it is not feasible to beat oil ya know lol
Yes, you can. My husband does auto and boat upholstery work and the price of vinyl jumps outrageously when oil prices go up, along with the cost of shipping. He has "stocked up" many many times in the past in order to keep from increasing his prices.

We have a couple of home construction projects we'd like to tackle this winter. I'm thinking we should go ahead and get the supplies NOW. Irene is also another consideration. I've seen it many times in Florida, the price of building supplies going through the roof after a hurricane.

If you look at petroleum products as simply gasoline, then no, there's not much to be done to "beat oil". But if you think about what you are going to need in the future, petroleum plays a HUGE part in almost everything.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not only petroleum products, but meat (beef especially, also pork, chicken, etc) and grains and other food supplies too. I had seen a story yesterday (sorry I can't find it now to include the link :/ )about higher commodity prices (beef & grain crops) because of the droughts in Texas and other states. The drought had caused major crop damage and ranchers had to sell off large portions of their herds that brought on temporary price drops in beef, but over the longer term (by next year?) beef prices will soar because of smaller supplies....which in turn would mean consumers would buy more pork & chicken which would drive up those prices also.

( :hide sorry Koxxx, didn't mean to hijack...but thought it all kinda went together)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
( :hide sorry Koxxx, didn't mean to hijack...but thought it all kinda went together)
Not a problem. Personally, I don't think of it as hijacking, when the discussions "wander off". These forums are the closest thing to having a conversation, and conversations hardly ever follow one track. It's one of the things that I enjoy about this group. :)