weaner pigs and too much sunshine?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How far away did said pigs have to be to avoid the 'OMG these pigs stink' from the house?

We'd like to get two pigs, but don't want to bother the neighbours (or us) with stinkiness....

Also how much should a weaner pig cost? The cheapest I've found them is $60 (which still seems high to me) and the most expensive was $395 (but that was for registered Tamworths).

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More space they have,..the less they stink. ;) Just saying,...........

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great googleymoogley! for $395 i'll drive a tamworth up to you!!!!

actually $50 is what we pay per pig....and one of them was a tam (we didnt care if it was registered)

i'll have to check the Storey's guide... they were pretty funny and actually recommended a distance from your neighbors to ensure happy neighborly relations.

:)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We raised two pigs when I was a teen, and I don't remember them being stinky. I asked my folks, (especially mom) and neither remembers a bad smell. I especially hated those pigs because they would poop in my horse's bedding. Looked like a people turd. Gross.

Maybe it was because they had the run of the two acre pasture? I really hope mine don't stink so much, but just in case, they will be several hundred feet from the house and the neighbors houses. I started the fence today. Put in all the posts. We scouted pallets behind TSC and will hopefully pick some up by the weekend for the pig house.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and we reserved three pigs at $50 each, plus a delivery charge of the $50 for all three. They will be raised organically until we get them, then it will be "naturally."

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I paid $30 for two yorkshire (cross, I think, they came from the same place the mule did) gilts. We are raising ours on a stock trailer. They stink and you hose it out and put the manure in the compost. Works pretty well, but there is of course always a lingering "odor of pig". This summer I am afraid it will be much stronger though!

miron27

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i have 7 pigs in a lot that is 27x 30 and it is not that bad smelling during the summer when it gets really hot like around July august i get about 10 feet from the pen i can smell them but i am used to it. i don't think it is that bad! :D the neighbors never complain only when they drive by it but they just say it stinks and laugh.

i pay any were from around 25 to 50 dollars for a feeder pig. 350.00 for a pig is crazy. papers don't mean anything unless you show the pig!

i will take pictures of my pen tomorrow and paste them if i get home early enough! :thumbsup

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Up at camp, there was the monster pig. They had a male and a female, but butchered the male early. They had roam of about 2-3 acres, and they didn't stink. But, you can always tell if you're passing a pig farm, it's so bad that you really do hold your breath, and I was raised in farmville. Literally, we lived in Penns Valley and cow sh*t was always called "Penns Valley Potporri". I think that space really does matter with stinky pig poop.