Weather

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After thunderstorm gifts from Texas that turned our mud into mud soup. It looks like winter is coming back again, complete with winter storm warnings. I kind of would like to set fence posts when the ground is frozen. It makes it a lot easier than when it's mud soup. I got my corner posts set and lines pulled tight. I just need to clean out the auger holes and set 8 more posts in cement for gates and a H to cross the stream. It sure sould be nice to do when frozen. I might get my oportunity about sunrise Saturday and Sunday mornings (I hope).

Screenshot_20220222-222839.png

Screenshot_20220222-224055.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter .... just a note that although you do not go on the sister site BYH much, reading about you setting these posts made me think that you might understand a little more about how the farmers get hit with a blow they don't expect. In my journal, farmerjan's journal - weather , the latest few posts are on the disaster we had this week at our pregnancy check. Long story short, the bull must have gotten injured and he got 6 of over 30 bred right at the beginning, then is shooting blanks since then. When a farmer gets hit with something like that it is a real blow... looking at over 20,000 in lost income next year when the supposedly bred cows had their calves and they would be sold late next year.... now there won't be any calves... and breeding them now will result in a loss of time of over 9 months just getting the calves on the ground... so basically a years lost income.
I realize that everyone here is a much smaller, homestead type operation.... but please understand that we work our tails off and work full time jobs so that we can eventually retire to just farming... and a set back like this can make or break a farmer.... proportionally of any size.
Your cattle looked good in one of the last posts I saw.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter .... just a note that although you do not go on the sister site BYH much, reading about you setting these posts made me think that you might understand a little more about how the farmers get hit with a blow they don't expect. In my journal, farmerjan's journal - weather , the latest few posts are on the disaster we had this week at our pregnancy check. Long story short, the bull must have gotten injured and he got 6 of over 30 bred right at the beginning, then is shooting blanks since then. When a farmer gets hit with something like that it is a real blow... looking at over 20,000 in lost income next year when the supposedly bred cows had their calves and they would be sold late next year.... now there won't be any calves... and breeding them now will result in a loss of time of over 9 months just getting the calves on the ground... so basically a years lost income.
I realize that everyone here is a much smaller, homestead type operation.... but please understand that we work our tails off and work full time jobs so that we can eventually retire to just farming... and a set back like this can make or break a farmer.... proportionally of any size.
Your cattle looked good in one of the last posts I saw.

things like that just point out that diversity in production is a good thing. putting all your eggs in one, err, basket is not recommended by me that is for sure.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not much snow here left on the ground at all other than some small piles of now ice and some icy patches that used to be puddles. snow forecast for tonight 3 inches or so. good as i'd like to shovel some snow tomorrow. :)