Weather

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, as I said, night wasn't over! Winds increased about 8, rains heavy...were blown under an 8 ft porch and into front door with a vengeance. About 10:30 a weather alert on phone -- poss tornados until 11:30....which is time lights went out, 11:30. Lights back on few min after 7 this AM. 😁

I had watched some lovely Christmas programs before lights out...so went to bed. Up at 6 and candles, heated water (sterno on hand) and had hot tea! It's gonna be a good day. I did selfishly have thoughts of annoyance with no power -- no smart phone, so no internet. Hmmm, spoiled I am.

Merry Christmas!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses .... sorry you lost the power....we didn't get the wind that strong here. It sure has been cold today and getting colder..... Oh well, it is December.... winter..... that means cold and snow. We had 1 1/2 inches rain then a mini-"blizzard" for about an hour.... woke up to a fair dusting of snow and temps down to 26. Never got above 30 and dropping more now. Going to be a very cold night. Ground will get hard after all the rain....it was pretty soggy so all the snow didn't stick as it was melting as it hit the wet ground. Guess you did okay for heat overnight?
Glad that the tornados never hit you.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My local outage on Christmas Eve was surely not my worst event! And timing wasn't either. Bed time, went there. Frig and freezers full and no need to open. Have a well, so don't turn on water -- plenty bottled on hand. It had been warm that day...house temps ok and back on in morning. Overall, a reminder to be prepared and appreciate what I have, as I slept thru all but an hour of it. Generator on hand but not used.

Temps steadily dropped all day Christmas, and I have 22 temps with 16 feel like this morning. Very glad to have convenience of electric!! Daughter kept water dripping all night, so flowing well from here to there. My well services all water between here and there...several acres back to her mobile home.

It is frigid but, I am inside.....dreading the trip out to feed. I'll bundle and go feed in a few. Coffee first!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Down to 10 this morning. Sun is out but I think it is "frozen sun"..... don't feel any warmth. up to maybe 28 today I think. Tomorrow supposed to be up near 50..... it was just 3 days ago that it was in the 60's.....
That 1 1/2 inches of rain we had Christmas eve froze pretty hard on the ground.... Going to take more water out to the chickens and close 'em up for the day early. Go down to the rental house and pack some more stuff for moving.