Weather

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in checking the electric bill yesterday there were interesting statistics about the weather being 15F above normal for the month.

the electric company has changed their rates to discourage peak use and even with that much change for the month we still did not have a huge increase in our bill because we've been able to shift to off-peak use without too much trouble. i'm not too fond of having to run the AC at all any time it is on, but Mom can't tolerate the heat and humidity as much as i can so i have to hide under my blankets (in the middle of July!).

the past few days have been more moderate and so we've not had the AC running as much and it sure is nice. :) we're heading back towards more warmer temperatures again so this is only a temporary break but i'll still take it.

plenty of rain, not really enough sunshine but that's just how it is. peas are doing great and holding on a lot longer than i expected. tomorrow should get out there and check for some fresh beans too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are enjoying a week or so of more normal summer temps, but the fire officials have warned us to expect the fires to continue into November. Huge amounts of government lands have gone up in smoke, and they are not even trying to fight it; they are concentrating on trying to save homes and businesses instead.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While we hate to hear of the destruction and loss of some outstanding forests, wildlife habitats, and difficult terrain, it's a choice that must be made. When you just can't do it all, you must choose the most important -- lives and homes win! :( It is truly heart wrenching for those with livestock they cannot move.

When the hurricanes and floods hit the deep south a few years back, many a horse trailer left more northern areas to help relocate animals from floods to dry ground. Unfortunately, fires are far more immediately killers than standing in belly deep water! It's all very sad to see.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They don't actually choose homes if they are out in the forest. Too dangerous for the firefighters.

Mom and Dad have a cabin in a little community that has up to 2 acre lots in the mountain woods near Heppner, Oregon. I think there are about 25 cabins. Every year they get a notice from the forest service that they will not save houses.

They are close enough that the town will send out trucks IF you pay a yearly fee for the service but they are 20 miles away.

All trees must be trimmed up 10 feet. All grass must be cut short. All forest debris must be picked up. Outdoor watering is NOT allowed ever. There are community springs for household use only and the state water board has threatened to cut it off for all but the 3 original cabins that have actual water rights in their deeds because of misuse. Spring is limited on flow. No use of creek water. There are people with actual water rights downstream. One jerkface got a huge fine for diverting a couple years ago so bad he sold his place.

It may be wooded mountains but it's barely above the surrounding high desert.

They got a notice this year from the forest service that if a fire is tracked to their place as a start, they will be paying for it. No use of lawn mower, weed wackers, or even electric drills. Nothing that has a hot engine or can cause a spark. Dad barely got the last weed trim done before the ban.

Edited because I mis-remembered and it's 10 ft not 16 for branch clearance cutting. I asked Mom when she called.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They shut the Umatilla National Forest down yesterday. Can't drive on the roads even. Too much risk of fire. Humidity has been very low and too little rainfall over winter with high temps now.

I know that down in Umatilla city it's been running between 6%-9% humidity and 105°-110°F on average. Even night time humidity only reaches 12%.

It's always been dry there. I never understood the concept of dew very well until I moved away. Only when camping in the mountains would we encounter it sometimes in spring.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Horrendous fire in Oregon.... Worse flooding in China.... 26 inches in one day or something... some of the videos people are taking are showing people on the subways in water up to their chests.... people washing away in water taking cars down roads...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All Federal Lands in eastern Washington are closed. Fire danger is too great to allow a vehicle around.

Mom reminded me that there are fires started every year in her area from people driving through the dry weeds while pulling off the sides of country roads.

It's been 5 weeks since we've had any rain. That's not normal here on this side of the mountains.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And, here, after our land being a dust bowl, there are now standing ponds in the lawn. ducks were happy, happy, happy yesterday. Lovely breeze, scuttling the clouds across from the north. big ol Northern Goshawk soaring around, looking to nab one of my birds. Not today, buster!