Weather

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How many hours of daylight do you have right now @Alaskan ? I think that’s my #1 reason I couldn’t live in Alaska.
Uh..... depends on how you count...

Like... now it is just after 9am, and the sky has brightened... but the sun isn't visible.

The sun skims along the southern horizon (well... the eastern edge of the southern horizon) for an hour or so before getting over the mountains.... then it stays a few feet above the mountains... as it travels west.... then another hour long sunset.

So... does the day start when the sky starts to lighten? Or when you actually see the full sun?

I looked that up once... technically it is nautical, civil, and astronomical dawn (and twilight... whatever) twiligh-phases.png

Anyway... at the darkest day of the year... we get 5 hours... I think almost 6.

But, because of the hour plus long sunrise/sunset thing... I always feel that it is such a nebulous concept.

Floofy... can't catch it..... like the weather forecast... make it whatever it is you want it to be....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Currently -11 actual temp, around -30 wind chill I think… ugh. And currently forecasted for 8-14” on Monday. Hopefully that changes because we don’t have time to deal with that much snow!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Currently -11 actual temp, around -30 wind chill I think… ugh
Nope. No way. Uh uh. All of ya'll who deal with this are tougher than me! :bow

We're crazy windy - gusts around 40mph. Made carrying hay interesting. Started for one feeder with a whole armload of hay. By the time I walked about 20 ft hardly any hay left, lol. Most of it was in my hair. :lol:

Latest posts