Weaving

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone do any basket weaving? Or how do you use vine-like plants from your homestead?

I was trimming the Ivy today and thought I might give weaving a go one day. There is not enough to make anything at this stage, but that stuff grows fast! I have played around with weaving other vines and plants before but never committed to any particular project. I dont really need any baskets so I was thinking I would weave some things to use in the garden once I have enough material.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wove a wreath from a willow shrub. I had plans to try a basket the next year, but wild rabbits killed it that winter.

Weaving a basket is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I have made coil bowls out of pine needles, but nothing for decades.

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok looks like I hijacked a thread!
As far as eating it . I have had kudzu jelly which has a certain amount of grape smell and flavor to it . Also kudzu honey .
Some times I harvest the leaves and use them instead of grape leaves to make dolmas . Tender vine tips are said to be good but haven't tried them .

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This thought just popped into my pea brain - could I take the wild grape vines that I am removing from around the barn and use them to "weave" a privacy fence near the swimming pool? Some of them are about an inch diameter at the base.

I did weave a basket once, about 16 years ago. It was from a kit and I did it at the County wildlife center with an instructor onsite. I wonder what happened to that basket?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We ramble off topic regularly.

I wouldn't use willow to make a living fence anywhere you mind the stuff spreading. As I said we have a LOT of willow. Only thing worse for popping up everywhere here is cottonwood. Cottonwood will also root from branches, same as willow.

Willow does make good wreath bases as well. Ive used it for hoops for dream catchers as well.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Easy willow plant trellis. I snagged the picture from Home Depot. I can make that for much less than $32.
mgp-tomato-cages-wro-48-64_600.jpg

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your talking of vines and weaving brought this to mind .
When your weaving material can grow as much as 2 foot a day on can do a lot of weaving .

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Daisy Is there anything specific you are thinking of making for the garden?
I am thinking plant supports may be really nice looking in the garden. Kinda made like tomato cages, only made with branches and therefore much cooler. I may have to make something for my garden now. I want to include a lot more flowers in my garden and this may be a neat way to contain a row of flowers.

Latest posts