Wedding Reception (Beer / Cider / Wine)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is kind of a neat picture of the blond all with no artificial lighting to see the different stages of yeast falling out off suspension. It's maybe a little less than 1/4 of the way cleared. Patience...
IMG_20210611_194926074~2.jpg

The Irish red ale is about 3/4 of the way done clearing. I'll probably wait until the blond ale is done and rack both at the same time. That way I'll only have to clean and sanitize my brew gear once. Notice the brown haze near the bottom.
IMG_20210611_195152641~2.jpg

Anyways back into the dark they go.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First blond ale sample. Yep, most definitely my Blond Ale recipe. Tastes a lot like tangerines on the front end, with a grapefruity taste on the backend. It's the 4 additions of hops during the boil, that gives it the unique flavor. It's a pretty low ABV and an easy drinker. It should do nicely for the wedding (if I don't screw it up somehow).
IMG_20210614_224744477.jpg

And first sample of Irish Red Ale. After a lot of study, I created the initial version of the recipe. Then tried tweaking it 6 times. Each version grew a little worse. 😂 Like most things in life simpler, is better. So the original version is the best. For the original version, just eliminate the flavor hop addition from version 3 I have posted.

I really like how smooth it is, start to finish and the slight hint of sweet roasted barley and East Kent Golding hops arroma, that reminds you it's Irish. This will also do well for the wedding (again, if I don't screw it up somehow.)
IMG_20210614_231112881.jpg

So far both brews are good, by me. Looks like we may be on our way to a successful wedding request. Just glad I don't have to brew another batch. I would like to get these on CO2 gas and age for a while @ 35 degrees.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess the first step is to gather up my recipes. I still haven't got what I would call a good cider from kits. It's ok and all, but you know I want it to be off the chain. It's my son's wedding after all. So I decided i'm going to have a chat with my friend at hobby homebrew. Man it's been so long since I talked to him, he might not remember my voice on the phone :(

Lil Red Irish Ale ingredients. This ingredient list is for version 3 and seems to be the best it out the 6 versions (tweaks) I've made so far. I do need to change the name but not the ingredients 🤣
IMG_20200329_223233.jpg

Mash Schedule
IMG_20200329_223409.jpg

Finished Beer Pour (Authentic - Yummy)
IMG_20200329_153052.jpg

Notty Blonde Ale Yeast is Danstar Nottingham (hence the name, Notty)
Screenshot_20210403-205711~2.png

Mash Schedule
Screenshot_20210403-210152~2.png

Finished Beer Pour (Fruity - slight hints of grapefruit and tangerine).
IMG_20200514_205435671_HDR.jpg

I just realized something, both beers my son asked for are fermented with Danstar Nottingham yeast. Hummmm... Now there's a head scratcher.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It will be nice to hear how the new place works for brewing. Do you have everything set up- shelves built, etc?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now, I like ginger ale..... Hmm.... never thought of it as a n ale, even though that is the name.... I also like to eat sauerkraut....
I made some blueberry ginger ale once it was delicious. I should make it again because it really helped with my arthritis pain in my hands and fingers. There seems to be a lot of health benefits to ginger and when you naturally ferment it, it seems like it makes them more availible. At least I think so, anyways.

The hard part is creating the "ginger bug" which is natural yeast contained within ginger root used to ferment the ginger ale. But once you make the bug, you can keep it alive as long as you want by feeding it. So you can use some of it to ferment future ginger ale recipes. I found out that the ginger root must be organic to make it all work. Some ginger root has been irradiated which ofcourse kills all the ensymes in the root so no chance to get it to ferment, let alone make the bug.

The success post is here, if you want to give it a go.

The recipe I used is taped to the glass carboy in posts 13 & 14. It turned out very well and my granddaughters also liked it. I also did a cherry and pineapple ginger ale also but I didn't post them here. It's fun to experiment with different natural fruits to get different flavors. I always wanted to try a peach ginger ale but never got around to it.

Let me know if you want to give it a go. and I'll try and point you in the right direction. It's very easy to make. Warning it does contain some alcohol but it's minimal. So it's truly a soft drink.

Last edited: