Weeds: which ones are most troublesome for you?

Cricket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm in northern Vermont and galinsoga is my major headache, followed by Purslane. The Galinsoga isn't too bad if you can pull while young, but it is a prolific re-seeder. So I do a lot of my weeding cursing my failure to keep up in past years!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i AM READY TO DUCK AND COVER! but being honest with you'll I would pick a dry day and give the jungle a light spray, a week later anything that wasn't dieing would get a second dose. 3rd and 4th are not out out of the question but not everything is likely to die. The dead growth here is usually burned in place [check with locals to see if it is permited where you are, permits or firewatches required? Many places that allow open burning under normal conditions will have dry days or weeks when it is forbiden. I once got my butt chewed when the wind shifted and and I had to call for help. The Forest Service Chief asked why did you burn today? I told him that it had rained all day yeaterday, that light rain was falling in the morning when I called his station to see if it was OK and it was. Look at your men wet to their butts trying to get to the fire and you still have 2 trucks stuck in the mud. If you quit yelling at me I'll get my tractor to help get you out. He calmed a bit and only gave me a written warning. When I started the breeze was blowing to a good fire break, but winds can shift.
Even if you can't burn you should be able to see better to do the cutting of the dead tops. Basically you just chew a bit at a time. ~gd

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That pic with my dog in it has the lighter brush that just grew this last year. That was pretty clean last year. Stuff just grows fast. I'd take a pic of the garden, but I'm embarrassed because I haven't weeded in two weeks and it looks like lawn again. I'm not joking about that marsh grass being able to grow 5 feet in two weeks when weather is warm.

I'm not sure about burning here. I'll look into it. A bulldozer sounds so nice. I'd love one.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
A bulldozer sounds so nice. I'd love one.
Where I live, you'd probably pay at least $15,000 for a used one that was 20 years old... and that would be a small bobcat type. Not the sort of investment I would make, and not the sort I'd recommend to someone else unless:
a) you've got very good knowledge and sense in looking over used automotive machinery
b) you're planning on earning some money by hiring-out, thereby recouping some of your investment

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, we're cheap. Would only get one if we got it free. There's a place up the road that rents them. We rented the trencher there and they are nice people working there.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hinotori, i think you just came and took picturesf MY property...im in the same position you are, fast growing "brush" just trying to eat the place (though i bllive mine is even thicker than yours) if money was no object thered be a back hoe comming in...since money is obejct the goats followd by me cutting back what they dont eat and slowly woking my way through it is the plan...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I very much feel for you if it's worse. I feel for you even if it's the same. It's nasty stuff.

Goats followed by trimming the big thick stuff they wont eat, then keep the goats coming back to keep it in check. That's done for a lot of stuff up here.

Thorny invasive weeds are the worst. I'll take all the dandelions any day.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've been pulling up spiny pig weed out of my horse pasture. I HATE that stuff.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
hinotori, i think you just came and took picturesf MY property...im in the same position you are, fast growing "brush" just trying to eat the place (though i bllive mine is even thicker than yours) if money was no object thered be a back hoe comming in...since money is obejct the goats followd by me cutting back what they dont eat and slowly woking my way through it is the plan...
I thought the same thing, pinky! :lol:

You and Hinotori have me second guessing myself as far as adding ducks to next years livestock on the homestead...maybe it should be mini-goats. Dang, y'all are some serious enablers! :gig :hugs

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
pinkfox said:
I thought the same thing, pinky! :lol:

You and Hinotori have me second guessing myself as far as adding ducks to next years livestock on the homestead...maybe it should be mini-goats. Dang, y'all are some serious enablers! :gig :hugs
Dawn here we RENT goats (Frankly I looked into goats and learned that they are hard to confine thats where I met my goat renters. They bring the goats in collars a chain and a stake for each. s/he takes them home every night now that coyote are starting to move into our area. The place that I bought had been empty for a year and a weed called kudzu (sp?) was uo to the roof on all the outbuildings. While I was asking questions and telling them what I wanted done the couple got funny grins and asked if it was STILL clear around the house? Turns out they had been brought in by the Realotor (sp) to get the house ready for the market. T was impressed, asked what the reat of the job would cost, and got on their waiting list. Later learned that they were small holders that got most of their income from the goats (milk and cheese) had over expanded the herd, hack of pasture was a problem. renting goats was a WIN-WIN-WIN for them and their customers. me cheap kudzu control + FREE,fertilizer. Them free goat feed and a lot of people learned about their dairy products! Oops almost forgot dba "KUDZU KIDS' ~gd