Well, I was having a good day...then...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I went outside to feed/water the chooks. You know that beautiful little brooder coop DH built me inside the other coop? We thought that thing was almost like FORT KNOX and made sure NOTHING could get in it....well almost nothing.

A mink or something of that nature managed to squeeze between a 4x4 post and the WALL and killed 6 of my 11 babies!

It got BOTH of my buff silkies, one of my buff brahmas, and 3 of my Milles.

I was so upset. I won't say I am heartbroken, but it hurts that's for sure!

I won't say heartbroken, because this is my first loss this entire year, and I wasn't completely wiped out. I can recover from this, but it's still upsetting.

edited because obviously I cannot add or substract properly.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm really sorry that happened. Those critters can be really difficult. I hope you get your brooder fixed.
:aww

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OH, gosh. I'm so sorry. What an awful thing. It's so hard to have something you pour your efforts into get destroyed. :(

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Sounds like you are taking it pretty well (better than I would). So sorry. I hope there won't be any more losses.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I am trying to take it well. The day has gone down hill from this morning.

Goats keep getting out. I have 3 pips in the incubator, but the humidity keeps dropping, and I keep adding a bit of moisture, but no one has done more than pip so now I am worried about this hatch.

I think I might just sell my incubators after this. I am not sure it's worth the stress to hatch my own. Ordering day old chicks is much easier!

DH just snapped at me over the goats being out :rolleyes:

FIL comes down and has to give me this looong speech about how "once they know they can get into your chickens they'll be back every night" no duh! Like I didn't know that already...like I'm not trying to bust my butt sealing it up better....grrrr....go home you crazy old man! :barnie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So sorry Quail...stinks when ya lose animals.

Our momma hog died last night and all the babies died also.....hmm...so Tony disposed this morning.

I know.

Fort Knox....honestly there is nothing fort knox when it comes to a critter wanting to eat our livestock! I thought I had Fort Knox many times...LOL...eventually it became fort knox with alot of work fixing ALL the ways they can figure out to get in..LOL

sorry for your lousey morning!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh no! what happened to your momma hog? I am so sorry! :hugs

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
piglet birth trouble

she had them late at night by herself...something went wrong???

early this morning Ralph (Tony's Dad) found her dead. It happens on the farm....I just go forward.

I have a nice big hog that we are butchering for our meat. Making cuts from her and not just sausage that we sell.....but now I am liking that gal...I best stay away from the hogs for a bit cause I am getting sentimental...not a good thing at all on the farm..HA HA

I wish Tony never introduced me to the one we are going to eat. oh well right?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sorry FarmerChick, that is really sad.

I keep thinking that we must have done a real good job on our duck pen, but now I wonder if it is just that we leave the radio on inside all night. I'm tempted to stop doing that since the pen looks pretty darn secure now, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the radio was what is really working for us.

Hee hee, nothing like a nosey elder with uneeded advice to present the last straw! I'm sure he's just trying to "be helpful." :/

Latest posts