Well My Garden officially sucks this year

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Well first it was so wet it flooded out a big portion of my garden. All I was getting was lettuce, so I replanted finally and now have onions but no lettuce.
My green beans are starting to grow but now they need dusted because of bugs.
I got 2 red peppers out of 6 plants and now they are being eaten to the ground by something
No tomatoes yet if I even get any
Bumper crop of carrots though
starting to get a few cucumbers
:hit All my zucchini plants withered dried up and died, thinking blight maybe
my radishes (2cnd planting because 1st got flooded out) look horrid
potatoes didnt do hardly anything and I planted a bunch(50lb bag split between me and in laws)

I just want to cry. I wanted to can so much this year. But no tomatoes and zucchini means no salsa. no zucchini blueberry jam, ect ect

And I have Brown rot on my peach and plum tree.. so no good plums aaarggghhh Waiting to see if I can salvage any peaches

:hit :hit :hit :hit :he :he :he :he:somad :somad :somad :rant :rant :rant

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I need to join this club. :(
Green beans....notta! I replanted, but they are looking pretty slim so far.
Peppers...notta. Withered and died. Im thinking the heat and humidity.
Tomato's ....a few green ones...but nothing ripe yet! UGH! No spaghetti sauce!!!
Potatos...looking good so far...but not ready to pull yet. Got them in the ground late.
Corn...its up there...tall..lots of ears..we shall see.
Raddishes...notta
cabages.....notta...rotted!
Cauliflour....bolted..notta
Brussell sprouts...there are tiny little heads on there, but they are no firming up...so prolly...notta..
Carrotts..got a few...and a few left in the ground, MIGHT get 6 pints total. UGH!
Peas...notta....I just replanted...hopeing for a fall crop.
Beets...notta...replanted them a week or so ago, coming up, but Im not sure there will be time.
Onions...notta....rotten, I think there MIGHT be 4 or 5 out there, out of the 100 I planted!
Just a rather sad year for the gardens.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
To quote a former Lecher in Chief, "I feel your pain". We've only been able to salvage two raised beds this year. Between the rampaging deer, excessive rain for a month followed by two months of drought, we're just happy to have the two beds.

My apples started great, but ended up only the size golf balls. We did have one tree that produced big, beautiful green apples, and they have disappeared. Literally. Something has removed every single apple, leaving only small droppings on leaves and branches in their place. I don't know if it was a horde of ravenous field mice, squirrels, or some type of weird pooping apple snitcher.

The cherry trees fruited wonderful this year, but I hadn't counted on how much the birds would like them too. None are left.

Both young plum trees decided to just up and die. They just started dropping their leaves, and drying up. When I went to dig them up we found little tunnels under the roots. I'm guessing field mice or chipmunks.

The fellow doing dozer work for me didn't see the flagging tape that I had put on two young paw paw trees. Smushed.

My big beautiful pear tree, that I planted three years ago, flowered beautifully this year. Not long after I discovered that I had not purchased a Bartlett Pear, but rather a Bradford Pear. Ornamental only. On the bright side, I did discover two wild pear trees growing on my property, that are producing fruit this year.

A friend was helping me drop some of the large oak trees that were too close to the house. I told him "just make it fall anywhere but on the house, or on my new pear tree". Well, at least it didn't land on the house.

So, trust me. I understand how you feel. Geeze, if things get really bad I'm going to STARVE!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Over 40 tomato plants, expecting some beautiful gems for farmer's market, and last week I had TWELVE mediocre tomatoes which I sold for 25 cents a piece. :( All my plants are rotten. Horrid.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sure these things happened to our ancestors too. What do you think they did when they had crop failures?

I had a nice early first flush of raspberries, but the birds beat me to the majority of them. Now I am pulling the few that are still coming, one by one, before they are fully ripe. Better than nothing. :/

I had one very early and wonderfully delicious strawberry. The rest were picked off in the nearly-ripe stage by those same birds that took out my raspberries.

And here I thought this would be my year for canning raspberries! LOL

some type of weird pooping apple snitcher.
ROFL!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We too are having a horrid gardening year:

too few tomatoes to can
same with green beans
only a few peppers out of 4 varieties
corn looks poorly
carrots doing great
collards well something out there is loving them
parsnips just a few as it is with the turnips, rutabuga,beets

I don't know happened, but if we want salsa, spaghetti sauce, I got to go to the produce stands

I have canned alot of what I call pre made dinner stuff, like beans and ham, soups ect. but I so wanted to be able to do more and be more SS

Oh well next year!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm surprized there aren't more posts on this thread! ;)

My garden was so horrible last year that I bought $150 worth of the good stuff (50% compost) for my raised beds. Well, I was so sure it would do no good that I planted everything too close together...so the tomatoes smothered the peppers & the cukes strangled the broccoli!

NO apples (because I didn't realize you have to have TWO trees) & the pears have a weird skin condition. :/

On the bright side, we got several huge salads out of the lettuce (in a separate bed) & the green onions have finally put out some good tops.

I think our ancestors were MUCH skinnier. :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I planted so much stuff this year & so far have only gotten a few yellow crookneck squash & one small zuchinni. I did get quite a few raspberries, enough to do one batch of jam & froze a bunch, the kids, hubby & dog ate the rest :/

Corn-first planting was too cold of weather, second planting the crows got & third planting was done in a mini greenhouse but now not enough season left to plant out (or room)

Squashes-taking over everything-hence no room for the corn starts. Atleast the squash plants are healthy, but still not sure about any real squashes yet.

Cukes-first planting either weather or crows or both, second planting is only about an inch or so tall-not big enough to produce this season.

Tomatoes-kinda like the squashes, BIG plants with some flowers & I'll be lucky to ever get any ripe fruit. With the exception of one plant that does have some small green golf balls on it.

Beans (green & dry)-growing like crazy, beautiful plants, lots of flowers, a few little 1/4 inch slivers of beans---we'll see on these

Beets, Broccoli, cabbage, spinach-all suck for people food

Carrots-doing fairly well, I think but you'd have to ask the kids that keep raiding that patch :p

Overall, I think this year the chickens will be getting the best of the deal :lol: and I won't even bother getting the canner out.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
my tomatoes bloomed. one only got one tomato. the other maybe a dozen.