Well My Garden officially sucks this year

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Ditto here - not a good veg or fruit garden year.

However, it HAS been an extraordinary year for the honey bees (lots of pollen and nectar) and the numbers of swarms are higher than usual. So it should be a great year for honey.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of honey bees too - a very good thing!

I got a little out of my garden, but I'm so sick of the heat and wetness that I'm just about to plow it all under and forget about fall planting. I can't get in the mood for it.

I am a terrible cuke farmer :p I finally got them to grow but for some reason could not get them picked before they got too big. I am not fast enough. Sometimes I would check and go back 12 or so hours later to find I was too late. Bizarre how fast those sucker grow. At least the chickens like them.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
However, it HAS been an extraordinary year for the honey bees (lots of pollen and nectar) and the numbers of swarms are higher than usual. So it should be a great year for honey.
I agree...I go out to the garden & all I hear is humming!!

Even if I get only 2-3 cukes this year, the bees are having a blast in the blossoms! :D

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm joining the horrid garden club too!!! We had a horrible drought early in the season. I did get quite a few squash and zucchinis, but then they died. My beans are finally making a come back, so I should be able to freeze some if I'm lucky. Everthing else sucks. It's barely hanging on. :/

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The amaranth, millet and buckwheat have been growing like weeds.

Since they seem to be the crops growing best this year, TR and I were thinking we should have grown more grains - hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?! :p

Latest posts