Well, we're not dead yet......

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We had fried taters smothered in deer gravy this morning for breakfast and it was sooooooo delish!!! This is from the deer I canned in a hot water bath. We'll test some each week to see if we die from botulism forming in the canned meat....I barely got any of the test sample this morning. :( I'll let you all know how it went, if I'm not too ill to type! :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
beekissed
you have made this for years like this haven't you?
if you ain't dead yet, you are doing something right! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Well, nuts. Now how are we to know if your computer is on the blink or if you've succumbed to botulism?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Well, nuts. Now how are we to know if your computer is on the blink or if you've succumbed to botulism?
She's just NEVER going to live this one down! :gig

:hugs Jules!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Bee... just an FYI...because of my own somtimes unacceptable canning practices I did the research on botulism. You won't get sick for several days. It normally takes at least 7 days before you start showing any symptoms and sometimes longer. Its not like food poisoning.
So we know we will have you with us for at least 7 more days, possibly 10 to 14 days. I ate some of my canned (not pressure canned) spaghitti sauce last night. I may only have 6 to 13 days.

My DH assures me that I will not kill us all. I just grin and ask if he wants more. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, if you calculate that the meat was just freshly canned last week, it may not have had time to develop bacteria growth yet.....I may have more time than we think! ;)

No, haven't canned deer meat in this manner before, just pressure canned. Got this tip off of some old Mennonite ladies and thought to try it. It looks beautiful...just like pressure canned. Tastes great also.

If we all die of botulism, I will bequeath my cow to Me&thegals!!! :D

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby and nephew shot a deer today with a crossbow and tracked it for a long time but it got away . Shoooooooot ! They're going to go back out tomorrow again to see if they can find it. Cross fingers for free meat.