We're building a Pantry (we need ideas)

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So we are spliting a spare bedroom that is off of our kitchen and we're going to create a large walk in pantry (about 10x 12). So I need ideas on shelf, counter, cabinet layouts....so lets see some food storage areas/pantries :D .

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have pictures but a little bit of advice. Decide what you are going to store and measure for shelves accordingly. Measure for if the shelf is going to be for large canning jars, stacked cans, boxes, small appliances, etc. Make some adjustable. It will save a lot of space if you plan ahead. also leave space for large tubs or 5 gallon buckets if you use those.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Think cool and dark. You might want to insulate the interior walls to help keep out unwanted heat.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just make sure your shelves are very strong. canning jars, when full are very heavy, and multiply that by however many jars you will be putting on the shelves. If I were doing it, I think I would put shelves all around the outer walls, and put a table in the middle. Having adjustable shelves would be ideal, but then again, don't compromise the strength of the shelves. The room must be darkened, so if there is a window in there, get a blackout shade, that you can roll up while you are in there, but keep drawn for the rest of the time.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Just make sure your shelves are very strong. canning jars, when full are very heavy, and multiply that by however many jars you will be putting on the shelves.
This is such good advice! I think the span is no more than 30" without a support for 3/4" thick boards.
The type of boards are important too. I've had bad experience with particle board; thought I could reuse a cheap bookcase someone gave me. It sagged badly from heavy jars. Same with the metal shelving.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it depend really, but since it will be close to kitchen, it has to be very well insulated, in order to keep moisture and heat outside.
What will be the purpose for that pantry? Just storing things, or also making cheese and those kinds of things?

If your going to just store things, I would go with something like that:
pan.jpg

I Imagine you will have the door on the longer wall? If so you can make the middle shelves little shorter and use a light bulb to light the "back" of the pantry and the light coming from the house to light the front. Make your shelves about 1 feet deep, it is ideal if you ask me. This allows you to store wine, horizontally if you're making wine, or 4 beer bottles vertically if you're a home brewer, it allows you to store those bigger gallon jars and won't make you dig into a 2-3feet deep shelve which is easier when it is quite empty, but while just after the harvest seems to be a pain in the ... back. The load is not THAT heavy, It also allows you store smaller portions of jars which means you can put for example "strawberry jelly" on one shelf and label it, no need for digging. I suggest that some support for the shelves is spaced no more then 2 feet apart. Be creative;) I'm sure someone will gladly help if you come up with an idea.

EDIT

leave about 1,5-2 feet from the bottom for dried things in some boxes, or junk in boxes, so that you don't need to bend down to get those jars, or dig through the shelve to get something while bending down. Just make your life comfy and easy ;)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
That is a nice size room for a pantry, are you planning on making it a food prep area as well? will there be water and drains? budget $?

When I remodeled my last house I took all the old kitchen cabinets and counter and put them in the basement, it was the perfect storage solution. Since I did not need the counter top area I just put the wall cabinets on top which still left a 12" edge to set things while perusing your hoard of food.

Remember to put in many lights and outlets and also consider a self poured concrete counter top - they are cheap and easy.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Cheap? Easy? (My two favorite words! Perhaps you should show us how?
I hope those two words don't describe you! or your sister "Hoar Frost" will surly win the battle of the cold shoulder. Of course I jest and imply no innuendo to you or any of my ex-wives.

Searching google or youtube for concrete counters will show just how easy and cheap they are, but at 200 lbs for a 5' x 2' section you better have a strong man mule to help you.