We're building a Pantry (we need ideas)

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
For canned goods, especially the ones that you buy at the store you might want to build a unit similar to the ones that you see in some grocery stores. Check out the section that sells soup. It allows you to load the cans from either the back or top and rolls down a chute. This way the oldest item will always be in front.

Also check out a wood working book when building a shelf unit. I came up with a design that is similar to a mortise and tendon joint, but I sandwiched 2x4s together to make the legs and connected the legs together with 2x4s and used particle board as the top and bottom. I could put a motor on it and hat have to worry.

For a shelf unit you could probably use particle board. The weigh will be supported by the 2x4s the particle board would be used to keep the product on the shelves from falling through.

I would also put a 1x2 on both the backside and front to keep the product from falling out the back or front.

You would probably also want to attach the shelving units to the wall behind the shelving units to make sure that they wont fall forward making a mess. Make sure that you drill into a stud rather than just drywall and be careful that you dont drill into a live electrical wire.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another suggestion that I would like to make is to keep an inventory of what you have in your pantry. That way you will know what holes you need to fill.

I use an Excel Spreadsheet, but using pen and paper will be fine. I list the product, vendor, size and expiration date and location i.e. shelf location. In my inventory I also list other supplies such as medical, water filtration, ammo etc. Its just a way to keep track of everything.

Put a number on each shelf. Then add a letter that you associate with the different types of canned goods. This information would be entered into your spreadsheet so that you can locate your supplies.

Store all of like products together. You could have one section for veggies, one for fruits, one for meat etc. Put all the same types of goods together such as peaches in one section, peas in another and so on and so on.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Here are a couple of places that will give you ideas on how to build units that let you rotate your canned good.

http://www.canracks.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnXfO7YMfk (When you finish watching this video check the other videos on the right hand side of the site.

The idea is two fold:
1. It helps you to use the oldest can first.
2. It saves space and helps you to be organized.

Also I would suggest that you label each section i.e. A-1, A-2 etc. then keep an inventory so that you know what you have, how much you have and where it is.

rileysgranny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We've used stair risers for shelving. Not the least expensive way to go, but they sure are strong. Wish I had the space you have for my pantry!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
don't forget to make some great containers to make recycling easier!

lucky you to have a pantry, can't wait to hear your plans as they go on

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just my thoughts. While I do apperciate canned goods, whether home made or store bought. I also like having my chest freezer. I know if I was planning a walk in pantry that size I'd include room for one. Someone mentioned a recycling center, since it's been recommened as well to make the room dark what about a worm farm???

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Pantry ideas? Ok, I'll play! Our pantry is about 8 x 12. We have shelves down both sides, a chest freezer and an upright.
These first two are of the left side as you walk in.

376295962.jpg

376295961.jpg

Right side.

376295957.jpg

376295956.jpg

376295958.jpg

As you can see, the shelving on the left side is as deep as the chest freezer, about 2.5 ft deep. I bought those adjustable shelves from a Pier One that closed up.
The shelving on the right side is slat board. I would NOT recommend that you use that for canning jars. I had to double the number of shelf brackets because of the load from all those jars. When I re-do that side, I am going to go with something a little stronger, like steel, and tie them to the wall.

You will also notice that we have a lot of stuff NOT on shelves, like those buckets full of sugar, salt, beans, rice, etc and cases of canning jars. Both freezers are pretty much full all the time. We are getting ready to empty the third freezer that is out in the shed, into the two freezers in the basement, so I can move the shed freezer to the garage. The shed is NOT on the transfer switch that the standby generator supplies, but the garage is. Hence the move.