Weston Price: The benefits of trad. diets focusing on tp 2 diabetes

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I gave up potatoes when I gave up rice and wheat. And yeah, I am Irish.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My Pepere was a potato farmer.....I loved my taters! But I developed an allergy/sensitivity to them. I think most diabetics would do well to avoid or severely limit potatoes because of the blood sugar spike they cause. At the very least, eat them with the skin (more fiber=less bs spiking) and plenty of butter and/or sour cream, which also lowers the glycemic index....a bit. It would also be wise to be aware of what a serving size looks like....it is not one big gigantic mutant russet as is often served in restaurants, nor is it a platter of fries, nor a mountain of mashed. Those portions are often a dozen or more servings! I'm thinking one serving now and then, if well-tolerated.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Here are the Gary Taubes lectures I link to on BYC...

http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...041487661765149

Here are several of his articles...
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=1
http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2008-10-01/Dietary-Fat-Health-Weight.aspx

And here is an interview with him...

"It's hard to imagine how bad this science really is in that field until you go back and actually read the papers yourself and see how completely ambiguous the evidence was and how it was selectively interpreted to support the preconceptions of the researchers doing the studies. I spent, depending on how you want to count it, from five to seven or eight years on this one book. The first third of the book explains how we came to believe that saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease and describes how this came about by selective interpretation of the evidence. The second third provides an alternative hypothesis, which is that most chronic diseases heart disease, diabetes, cancer, even Alzheimer's are caused by the effect of easily digestible carbohydrates and sugars on our blood sugar, insulin and fat accumulation. I never thought going into this that I'd actually find an alternative hypothesis that was compelling; I thought I'd just be debunking the conventional wisdom, which I already knew was the result of some terrible science. As it turned out, though, there was an obvious alternative hypothesis and a consistent line of evidence supporting it that went from the 19th century through to the latest research in the journals today. Finally, the last third of the book is about obesity and what makes us fat, arguing that it's not this simplistic and effectively meaningless calories-in-calories-out, but the effect of carbohydrates specifically on insulin and insulin on fat accumulation. As for the impact, I'm still hoping to see some. Some researchers in the field have read the book and find the arguments compelling, and I've been invited to give some fairly prestigious lectures that journalists rarely do grand rounds in medical schools and the NIH, for instance but I'd still say 99 percent of the relevant researchers and policy makers either don't know the book exists or would say it's nonsense, and then proudly proclaim they've never read it and never will."
http://www.thedailybell.com/604/Gary-Taubes-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.html

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had a conversation with my pastor yesterday. He's recently become diabetic, been heavy for years, health is steadily declining. I was able to point out to him how he ate overseas when he was doing mission work. Fresh veggies & fruits, all day long. No grains, no veggie oils, occasional fresh (raw!) butter, milk & cream. Fresh meat, fermented veggies & meats.

He has at least agreed to review the Transitions Lifestyle & Weston Price's work. So that's a start :)

I had organic, grassfed calf liver for the first time this weekend. Panfried in butter with onions & bell peppers. It was amazing. And gizzards :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:ep My folks just came home with a flyer of the menu at the senior center lunches, with "diabetic changes" on the other side. I was HORRIFIED! It is an extremely high glycemic load menu, with every meal consisting of almost all HGI items, except the entree. Potatoes, muffins, biscuits, corn, peas, white bread.....3-5 of these in each meal make up the bulk of the menu. The diabetic changes are "diet fruit cocktail" and "diet pudding" instead of regular!!!! Everything else is the same for the diabetic. WOW!

I am stunned but not surprised, if that makes any sense.

The kicker is the request for donations to support the $5.25 per meal cost! Those meals don't cost any more than a dollar or two at most. Can overhead really be that much? I will be providing my folks with meals when they need them. I can't let them eat that junk when they move into their apartment.

Wow. :he

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The "eat whatever you want and cover it with insulin" mantra has done so much harm over the years it makes my head spin. That I why I love Dr. Berstein. I will post links to his information when I get a chance. The guy is a diabetic himself and knows the current recommendations are dangerous from first hand experience.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It is truly frightening to me that "experts" are out there telling diabetic people what to eat and it so wrong! I have friend at church who was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. We've been comparing notes on what her MD is recommending compared to my Naturopath. She was sent to classes at the hospital and not told anything about glycemic load etc.

ETS: I ate a small serving of scalloped potatoes at dinner last night and I'm regretting it today. I feel sluggish and tired. I'm blaming the potatoes....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think serving size is definitely an important factor. I load my plate up with vegetables, then a small piece of meat with the fat on and 1/2 of a baked potato. We usually either have two vegetables or a vegetable and a salad. I try to vary the vegies. Right now we are eating a lot of asparagus, because it is growing in the garden. We also go with seasonal foods. Of course our season is mild, and there is something growing in the garden year round that we can add to our meals.

Free, I also find it hard to believe that so many institutions offer such poor choices of meals.

People also are convinced that if they take a sugar substitute that they are doing themselves a favor. As if eating instant pudding made with nutrasweet is good for you opposed to pudding made with sugar. You are still getting the starch and the sense of sweetness. Just the sweet taste fools your body into the same reaction as real sugar. You are better off eating sugar, just very little of it. The starch alone is bad for people with bloodsugar problems.
And again, if you buy a prepackaged pudding mix, there are usually more ingredients in the pudding, than the pudding my mother would have made from scratch.

I think if you truly like a certain food, go ahead and eat it, in moderation, and really enjoy it. Like one small ice cream cone not a huge double scoop.
On the other hand, if that food is really bad for you, you need to find a suitable alternate to take care of your craving. There is a withdrawal period for many foods that we crave. For most of them it is 2 weeks.
There are many things I can no longer eat. Sometimes I still crave them and if the opportunity presents itself, I might have a bite. I savor it and I am satisfied.

If I go overboard, I pay the price of feeling poorly and that teaches me a lesson, to not do that again. This usually sticks for a year or so.:lol:

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That diet is being recommended for diabetic seniors, and I'm over here beating my head on the wall! :he

I'm certainly no nutritionist, but even I know that's all wrong!
I'm so glad Grandmom's doctor's are not like that. She and I love going out to eat together, and we can split an order no prob, because she has the same personal rules I do.
She's lost about 20lbs in the last few years just by cutting pasta down to once a week on doc's orders :)

ETA: I thought I should be *saving* money with this lifestyle, but now I have another book to buy :lol:

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
freemotion said:
:ep My folks just came home with a flyer of the menu at the senior center lunches, with "diabetic changes" on the other side. I was HORRIFIED! It is an extremely high glycemic load menu, with every meal consisting of almost all HGI items, except the entree. Potatoes, muffins, biscuits, corn, peas, white bread.....3-5 of these in each meal make up the bulk of the menu. The diabetic changes are "diet fruit cocktail" and "diet pudding" instead of regular!!!! Everything else is the same for the diabetic. WOW!

I am stunned but not surprised, if that makes any sense.
Even I would agree that that is not a healthy diet for a diabetic. ;)