What 2 nut trees to plant for protein?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not to be misleading: we have goats (milk and meat) and chickens (eggs and meat) and plan to add rabbits, ducks and possibly pigs. But we don't eat a LOT of meat so plan to eat nuts, seeds and beans for protein too.

We have a tiny little property, right around 2 acres. East of Denver on the Colorado plains, Zone 5. Finally should have the money by Spring to plant berries, fruit trees and nut trees. The berries and fruits were easy: so many fruit trees come in dwarf and really dwarf sizes so I can fit them in here and there, not casting shadows on where we plan to plant grains.

But the nut trees have me a little stumped. There are a couple of almond trees that only get 10-15 feet tall so we'll be doing 3-4-5 of them. I don't want only almonds for our nut protein source! When I eat too many, it makes my throat itch.

Pecans won't grow here, so I understand. Same for pistachios and such. And we don't really like chestnuts.

Deciding between butternut and english walnuts. Both get between 30-50 feet tall so I can only have 3-4 total. Probably shading the goat and chicken pens.

For those of you who have experience:
-which has more protein?
-which is easier to harvest?
-which bears nuts fastest?
-which is more versatile (in cooking)
-which is easier to de-shell and freeze, dehydrate or can?
-oh, and we haven't eaten butternuts but they are supposed to be really buttery .. are they?

Thanks.

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't know about butternut, it's the same family? Walnut toxicity for the birds? (not the nuts, the whole tree/plant)

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What about hazelnuts? Pine nuts? These would be faster to production, no toxins in the soil. Pine nuts also are still very expensive to buy if you want to sell some to supplement income.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have pine trees but completely forgot about the pinenuts! Thanks. Haven't even harvested any. Guess I need to figure out when and how.

Everything I heard from local nurserys said hazelnuts don't do well either, especially where we are. We get a LOT of wind here ... average gusts upwards of 30-40 MPH.

Not worried about toxicity of the tree and roots of the English walnut ... the goats and chickens won't be able to get to it although it will be in their pens. We're going to surround the trees with fencing and boards. The critters will benefit from shade and nuts but won't be able to nibble! (Black Walnuts are the toxic ones, I think).

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in terms of healthiest nuts, i elive the top are
walnut
almond
cashew
pecan
brazil
macademia
pine nuts
pistacio

personaly id do almond walnut and pine nuts

which of the chestnut family have you tried, theres a difference in flavor between american and chinese (euro), personally i only like chinese/euro chestnuts and they have to be hot! lol

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot lately (I posted a while ago about growing pecans, but can't remember if it was here or on TEG)...& I know they aren't trees, but wondered if anyone has tried growing peanuts? Sorry if this is going off-topic. ;)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately (I posted a while ago about growing pecans, but can't remember if it was here or on TEG)...& I know they aren't trees, but wondered if anyone has tried growing peanuts? Sorry if this is going off-topic. ;)
I grow peanuts. Super easy. Unfortunately, I never grow enough. My DH loves fresh roasted peanuts and gobble's them down as fast as I can make them :lol:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
i_am2bz said:
I grow peanuts. Super easy. Unfortunately, I never grow enough. My DH loves fresh roasted peanuts and gobble's them down as fast as I can make them :lol:
Well heck, SSD, if ya'll can grow them up there, I sure should be able to grow them here! :D How do you start them? Like maybe from raw peanuts? Or do you have to buy plants? (PM me if you think I'm hijacking the OP!)