What 2 nut trees to plant for protein?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
neko, thats part of my problem, i want chestnuts but they take so long to mature and i dont know if ill ever have kids to leave this place to that im not realy sure if it would be worth dedicating the space lol

id LOVE to grow cashews, i LOVE cashews!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One Warning that hasnt been mentioned is that almonds are very early bloomers and often the whole crop is lost to frost many are planted for their blooms alone so check to see if they actually produce nuts where you are.
Protein contents are Almonds 20%, Pistachio 19%, Walnuts 15% Hazelnut 13%, Pecan 7% No data for Butternuts I suspect they are close to walnuts. No data for Hickory nuts. probably close to pecans which they can cross breed with. Most Nut trees have pollination problems because they are not very self fertile. And at least some of the nut trees have both male and female plants. The males produce no nuts. I would buy from a nursery that sells lots of nut trees to get the right mix to be productive.~gd

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We plant lots of sunflowers (for us and livestock), and eat pumpkin seeds. Plus the pine nuts, beans and peas, eggs, chicken and goat. Now almonds and walnuts.

I'd forgotten that almonds are prone to freezing. Maybe if I Plant them kinda close to the house to keep them warm and protect them from north winds.

The walnuts will go to the edge of the property so they don't hit electric lines or shadow garden plots when they are full grown. Some nuts will fall on the street but no problem harvesting ... we're at the end of a cul-de-sac.