What a fabulous forum!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I lived for 17 years on the NB border (Edmunston and Claire), and crossed that border many times.....for gas, chiropractic, and Greco Donair! Also the warmest boots money can buy are to be found in Canada!

I was working at a horse farm and would bring well-composted manure home in five gallon pails. I forgot I had a trunk-full when I went across the bridge to a chiropractic appointment. Of course, that was the day I was asked to open my trunk on my way back into the US. I had some 'splainin' to do! Lots of drug traffic on that border, and when the grouchy border patrol officer started questioning.....I said I'd be more than happy to dump the buckets, but I wasn't picking it back up again!

He said, "Go, but no more compost!" :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Also the warmest boots money can buy are to be found in Canada!
Were they Sorels? They are on sale this week, and I need to get some for the kiddos. I truly hope their feet stop growing some time soon!!

Funny story about the manure!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I always had two pairs of Sorels for the barn....one rated -40, and one rated -70 with liners. I had several pairs of liners so I could change them throughout the work day. Those boots are amazing!!!

I also still have a pair of dress boots that are actually warm. I gave a pair to my mom and she still has them, too. They are around 20 years old! I got them a size too big for air circulation and wool socks. I don't remember the brand....I'm thinking Husky?

You can get Sorels in the US now, online, too. Great boots! They are actually too warm for me where I live now, but I still have the felts. Can't seem to give them up. "Someday" I hope to make some slippers around them. I wore a pair for slippers one winter and they are slippery :rolleyes: and wore out very quickly.