What animal have you rescued today?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm a veteran "rescuer" of dogs either from the humane society or about to go there, or strays, and have done my share of cat rescue and even rescued a bunny.
I've also rescued friends and relatives from situations and in general life I consider my role or my life's work to be a rescuer.

What have you all rescued today that you are proud of?

Kittens under the house?
Bedraggled dog in the rain?
Baby animal left in dumpster?
Puppy thrown from a car?
Dog left by owners at a dog park?
Baby bird who flew into your glass window?

These are a few of my stories, but I would like to hear yours!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The last bird that flew into my window was a partridge...ummm, and I ate it...:D But I did rescue some stray kittens a while back. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Does it have to be "today"? Every animal I own was rescued in some way, except the sheep and the chickens.

3 horses
2 dogs
1 cat
1 pig (he was a stray, so that counts, right?)

And those are just the ones I've kept. :p I have picked up so many animals off the streets! One dog was full of bullets. That was "Gretchen" one of the best "family" dogs my sister has ever owned. :) She is about 11 years old now.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well....being that we are "farm animal rescuers" here at Heavens Door Acres. I COULD go on and on about all the ones we have "saved" Today? Well...I "saved" my duck from getting his but kicked by my Banty Cochin frizzle hen....does that count?
I am hopeing to get liscenced this spring for Wildlife rehab. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This showed up under our ground floor apartment window during a snow storm over 20 years ago...
1000858ei9.jpg

She was a tiny little kitten at the time. We gave her to some friends of our because the apartment wouldn't let you keep pets. As soon as we moved in to a house, they begged us to take her back. Apparently she was beating up their full-grown cats!

She is still evil, but she grows on you. She will be 21 in September.

These three would have been dog food if I hadn't adopted them...
1002139vz4.jpg

They were being used to train herding dogs. With winter coming on, they didn't want to feed a flock of ducks.

We still have Chrissy (the runner in the back). Jack was sold and Janet died after a leg injury.

My son rescued him from an idiot roommate...
1002000yk3.jpg

Of course, now that he is being deployed, I am stuck with him :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Don't think I rescued any today, unless you want to count the ameraucana hen who got too close to Susie, our momma hen and got viciously attacked. Susie is fiercely protective of her yunguns.

Our dog is a pound puppy (we fostered her)
Our old cermudgeon cat was a feral kitty
Our little Petey (cat) was one of my bottle babies. He was brought to the shelter when he was about 3 days old
Our rabbit showed up in the front yard one very cold january evening
Our goldfish were feeder fish from the pet store

We have an assortment of cages and pet carriers just in case.

We have rescued lizzards (including a bearded dragon), cats,
dogs (just last week the neighbor's dog got hit by a car in front of our house) I keep an extra leash in my car, in case I see a stray dog, birds (both wild ones and escaped parakeets), snakes (primarily king snakes and garter snakes)

We foster puppies and kittens from the local Humane Society.

Now I am hoping to "rescue" some sheep and or a couple of milk goats :p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm quite amused already at this thread!

I don't think we need to be too technical about that term "today" after all, I referenced events that spanned over many years in my post.

The photos are adorable!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's a few of the rescues I'm most proud of their recovery:

My first horse Casper... I went to an auction 'just to watch'... horse after horse went through and then he walked in. He was so skinny that they had three western saddle pads under an english saddle just to keep it on his back... he walked past me and looked into my eyes with the biggest, saddest, kindest brown eyes I had ever seen. Five minutes later I owned a horse.

Here's the picture I took two weeks after the auction, he had to be boarded until I could arrange a trailer and this is what he looked like the night he came home. He'd already gained close to 50 pounds, and to me the picture doesn't even begin to show how skinny he really was... his neck was sunken, you could count his vertebrae, fit half your hand between each rib...

casperbefore.jpg

Here he is 13 months later teaching my three year old (almost 4) neice how to ride... she has no fear of sitting on a 17.2 hand thoroughbred :) He adored her, would follow her around and put his head in her lap for kisses.

Straight-Back.jpg

This one is me in an equitation class:
casperthestunninghorse.jpg

He was my heart horse, I lost a piece of myself the day I had to put him to sleep. He came to me with a hitch in his stride, over 3 years it got to the point where he could no longer walk from his stall to the pasture and it was time to say goodbye.

And the happy looking dog in my avatar would be one of the approximately 40 pit bulls I have rescued... two of which live with me, the rest were just fostered here until they were deemed adoptable and we found a suitable home. Here's his before:

Marley2.jpg

and after:
MarleySwimming.jpg

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our two outside dogs are adoptions, and our inside dog was Laura's moms, so when she passed away we took her in as well. Laura's cats have all been rescues as well...one was a feral baby I caught in a culvert for her. We have also taken in peoples fish they were tired of and a couple of snakes(boas). A couple of years ago I was driving down the road and passed a baby scissortail flycatcher sitting in the road. Ended up going back, and carrying him in my pocket for weeks(at home, at work, everywhere). I fed him softened cat food. He finally got big enough to sit by himself in a box, so I kept him on a workbench while at work. The guys really got a laugh when he figured out how to hop out and follow me around. He would be everywhere, and as he learned to flutter around would even come up the ladder lol. In the fall he really bagan to fly well, and one day he was just gone. I hope he is sailing around the skies right now having a good time. My wife to laugh and laugh at me and my "baby"