What animal have you rescued today?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Here's my latest rescue (yes, he's in my bathroom sink, his favorite resting place). I heard him last summer as I was checking my mom's mailbox. I got out and called (thinking it was her cat) and this tiny ball of black fur jumped out of the ditch in the middle of the road and came running. One leg kinda swung outward and I thought he'd been hit. Couldn't find and injury and he didn't act like he was in pain. Jumped in my car and he's been my baby ever since.

My husband, who isn't really fond of cats, goes into the bathroom at night to brush his teeth, gently lifts the cat out of the sink, puts him down on a rug, and when finished, wipes out the sink and puts the cat back up there.

Go figure.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
[url]http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/1343_dscn0171.jpg[/url]

My husband, who isn't really fond of cats, goes into the bathroom at night to brush his teeth, gently lifts the cat out of the sink, puts him down on a rug, and when finished, wipes out the sink and puts the cat back up there.

Go figure.
Men can sure be funny sometimes. I am nursing a blind chick right now. I was holding it...feeding it, when hubby said...why dont you just put it down? And made the motion with his finger and thumb, like he could squish its head. So I handed it to him and said, im going upstairs, when your done, let me know. I didnt hear from him for about 20 minutes, and when I came back downstairs, there he sat, in his recliner, with the chick resting on his belly....when I said, well? Are you going to DO IT? He said SHhhhh, she is sleeping! HAHA!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
These stories are so cute....yes there are unlikely rescuers sometimes, aren't there?

I have this theory about dog and cat "angels". How on earth could all the strays cross my path, appear at my door, or neglected animals somehow within my eyesight? It is like I have some sort of radar and they find me. I've had people call (before our number was unlisted) and say "Are you the dog lady?" How does this knowledge that I'm a big sucker leak out?
My theory, now mind you, I believe dogs and cats go to heaven, is that they sometimes become angels for the live dogs and cats and make suggestions like "Heh, a BIG sucker for dogs lives here." or "Just wait until she says kitty-kitty and run in real quick." Or "Heh, you stray (anything), look real skinny and hungry and she will somehow fix you a dinner."

Anyone else rescued an animal (today) because the angels sent it into your path?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I foster retired racing greyhounds through a local adoption group.
http://www.heartlandgreyhoundadoption.org/

Here is my current foster dog, she's pretty much perfect.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15636140

Here are some pictures of some of my past fosters.

Katie
658_100_0986.jpg

Jenny - I love this picture of her, it is entirely representative. She was in constant motion.
658_img_0130.jpg

Dragon
658_dragon_001.jpg

Woody
658_img_0139.jpg

Spot
658_100_1008.jpg

Apollo
658_incubator_003.jpg

And last but certainly not least, my very special puppy, Shadow. She was a shelter dog that had been returned 3 times, and was only just over a year.

Here she is with DH, and Woody. She had just won 'Best Trick' at a pet fair!
658_woody_002.jpg

And here she is on one of our vacations. She is so great about sitting next to strange things for pictures. Random strangers often stop and take pictures of her sitting there so patiently.
658_100_0596.jpg

Edited to add - she was just about to sneeze in that last picture. Every time I look at her face I burst out laughing.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All 6 of our dogs are rescues. All 8 of our cats are rescues. My 4 rabbits are rescues. I have an alpaca and a llama that are rescues. Not to mention several other cats and rabbits that have gone over the rainbow bridge that were rescues. I have also found homes for dogs and cats that have wandered into our yard. I also foster rabbits once in a while.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohhh. Iceblink, I walk greyhounds and volunteer with a local group... my dogs tend to be too rough for them so we can't foster, but I think they are just stunning dogs... so regal, but dorky at the same time :)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Dad used to joke that I have a tattoo that is only visible to an animal in trouble :lol:

Seriously though, I do wonder sometimes if these guys are placed in our path, or perhaps us in theirs. My dad was a Paramedic, and I swear we couldn't go ANYWHERE that there wasn't a person who had a sudden crisis and needed his help. Makes my scientific skeptic's mind get a little heebie-jeebie.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dh is the worlds worst at dragging home a stray anything. He works for the propane company and is often at people's houses and they'll tell him a sad story about how they don't want it or can't afford to feed it or whatever and here it comes to our house.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
My dad was a Paramedic, and I swear we couldn't go ANYWHERE that there wasn't a person who had a sudden crisis and needed his help. Makes my scientific skeptic's mind get a little heebie-jeebie.
This is really true... my grandfather had a heart attack while touring a remote tourist attraction, 50 minute drive from the nearest hospital... The tour group behind him was a group of cardiac nurses and doctors on a break from a conference they were attending in town... he had the best care possible in the middle of nowhere.

I constantly have random animals show up... it's funny... I picked up a starved pit bull once when I went to get gas he was sitting by the pumps and hopped in my backseat... how would he know I wouldn't be afraid of a strange pit bull in my car?

When I was a kid my parents called me Heather of Assisi (for St Francis of Assisi) because I was constantly bringing home injured or sick animals.... I brought my dad a bird once with no head and asked him to fix it :)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And I cried for 25 miles when I was a kid because my dad wouldn't turn around and go back and get the bird that flew into our windshield.