What are all of you crafters making for Christmas?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Even though I don't have a large family at one time when all the kids were small it almost became overwhelming and a tremendous financial burden with Parents, Grandparents, neices, nephews and on and on. So one year I just said STOP. I refused to participate in the who spends more Christmas plan. That was the year I made picture frames as family gifts with a collage of pictures from different events. I still bought the children one small gift but that was it. The first year my family talked about me horribly. OH WELL.... I was not stuck with major bills for the rest of the year. The next year I made jelly and bread baskets with other little store bought inexpensive items I had picked up thru the year, a screw driver, decrative soap etc. Everyone seemed to have fun going thru their baskets. After that it was a breeze. And a few years later they would individually pull me aside and thank me for them not having tremendous bills. Now my home made gifts go to friends who normally don't give us anything. It seems they can accept a homemade gift without feeling like they should have brought us something.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We give gifts to my parents, and my in laws, as well as our children obviously, but I also give to my co workers, my two nieces, and I think this year I will give a small basket of baked goods to our new neighbors. Just because I really like them. Most of the gifts we give our homemade. If they are not then they are something that I have put alot of thought into. Most of the gifts we recieve are $$ or gift cards. Which, I am sorry if I offend anyone when I say this, DRIVES ME CRAZY!! There is nothing that says "I was too lazy to put any thought or effort into your gift" like cash. I know that is not the case with every one, but I just feel like cash is such a thoughtless gift. Once again this is just my opinion so please do not take this wrong if this is what you and your family has decided upon.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Nugget

I only give cash gift cards when requested. Only if they asked. Like neice and nephews are teens now and want gift card. No problem I say...LOL

but I don't give one unless it is wanted. Cause I know what you mean.

My Mom said what do you want....I said gift card to Tractor Supply Store...LOL--she could never have figured out the farm stuff I needed....got her off the hook and helped me...LOL

When I tried to explain the stuff I wanted she said, whew, gift card it is..LOL

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses to my insecurities! :D We certainly plan on continuing with our homemade gift tradition, because, well... we love it, and it really is "us" and we definitely put so much more thought and love into our baskets then we do a Made in China foot massager, or a Chia Pet! ;) Now to get this thread back on track, the new exciting item I'm planning on experimenting with for our baskets this year is candied spiced walnuts. Someone gave them to us last year around the holidays and they were so good, and then when I bought my slow cooker recipe book, there was a recipe for candied spiced walnuts! So if all goes well in the experiment, that will be going into the baskets. (My father loves walnuts more than any human being I've ever known so he'll get an extra large portion!)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In response to how I feel about home made gifts. I love to receive and give them. Now the yuppies in my family may snide but who cares. I have made some really great gifts for them over the years.
home made vanilla
home made kahlua
quilts/table runners
jewelry
jams/jellies/fudge (penuche is a favorite here), etc
scrap books of important moments for them.
dolls
scarves/hats
salt dough ornaments
etc
etc
I always ask for giftcards and here is why, my parents and inlaws are gift challenged and buy us things I usually end up donating immediately. I have had up to 5 robes at any given point and more bath and body works lotion that I will use in this lifetime. I have asked them repeatedly that I want cards which only happens about 50% of the time :( and yes I could say I want nothing and I will get more lotion....

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love getting something homemade because of the love/time/thought that went into it.

Some of us :rolleyes: are challenged in this area, so try to buy gifts that the recipient would truly like.

I think others are so afraid of getting the wrong thing that they go for cash/gift cards to be safe.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My sissy makes a mean homemade gift.

Last year I got a whole supply of handmade note paper. With a cool new chicken stamper to boot.

My neighbors are homemade gifters too. I get homemade cookies and candy. I got a set of handmade drop spindles. I have gotten other goodies as well.

Of course I seem to live in a weird neighborhood - yes - smack in the city.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It will be a very homemade Christmas here this year. My toughies are my niece and nephew who are 14 and 16. Not typical kids at all. Vegetarians, not into trends. So it will be cookies and other goodies I can whip up from scratch and package up nicely for them. They fly in from Iowa to NY with their parents for the week to stay at my in-laws. MIL doesn't keep a lot of snacks for them so if I give them some they have stuff to snack on and if it's gone by the time they're flying home they have nothing to worry about packing!
Ooooo, spiced nuts. Must remember to make the spiced nuts.
I'll be following this thread closely for ideas!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Speaking of homemade gifts...I would like to make some hand painted wine/martini glasses for family. I know you can buy specialty paints in the craft stores...just wondering if anyone here has ever done such a thing?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Speaking of homemade gifts...I would like to make some hand painted wine/martini glasses for family. I know you can buy specialty paints in the craft stores...just wondering if anyone here has ever done such a thing?
I have done something similar, I took glass etching and etched initials and designs into glasses, vases, glass ball ornaments, etc. They were really nice and people loved them!