What are all of you crafters making for Christmas?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Years ago I bought those plain clear glass ornaments and swirled acrylic paint around the insides. Tied a ribbon around the hanger part and gave them to everyone. I still see them on peoples' trees so I guess they were a hit!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
It will be a very homemade Christmas here this year. My toughies are my niece and nephew who are 14 and 16. Not typical kids at all. Vegetarians, not into trends. So it will be cookies and other goodies I can whip up from scratch and package up nicely for them. They fly in from Iowa to NY with their parents for the week to stay at my in-laws. MIL doesn't keep a lot of snacks for them so if I give them some they have stuff to snack on and if it's gone by the time they're flying home they have nothing to worry about packing!
Ooooo, spiced nuts. Must remember to make the spiced nuts.
I'll be following this thread closely for ideas!
What about those fleece hats that have a little tassel at the top of them for the neice & nephew? Or a throw blanket for them?
DS#2 made one of those in preschool that I love to hang on my tree.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Henrietta23 said:
It will be a very homemade Christmas here this year. My toughies are my niece and nephew who are 14 and 16. Not typical kids at all. Vegetarians, not into trends. So it will be cookies and other goodies I can whip up from scratch and package up nicely for them. They fly in from Iowa to NY with their parents for the week to stay at my in-laws. MIL doesn't keep a lot of snacks for them so if I give them some they have stuff to snack on and if it's gone by the time they're flying home they have nothing to worry about packing!
Ooooo, spiced nuts. Must remember to make the spiced nuts.
I'll be following this thread closely for ideas!
What about those fleece hats that have a little tassel at the top of them for the neice & nephew? Or a throw blanket for them?
DS#2 made one of those in preschool that I love to hang on my tree.
That could work too. The goodies will definitely be appreciated!

Laskaland

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
We do the same...give to kids (nieces/nephews) only. Last year I made each one a double sided fleece blanket with their names sewn on them. This year? Not real sure...I have 7 of them, all under the age of 8!! I am such a procrastinator, so I have really no idea right now, lol.
Hey PioneerGirl:
Make some pillowcases for them! I made them for neices and nephews- ages 12-5 last year and they LOVED THEM. You could do flannel or a sports team or whatever. It takes I think just 3/4 yrd per case. It was neat to see them all bring them to "grandma's" (my m-i-l) this summer. I was so happy they liked them!

Hugs and good luck!
Christina

Laskaland

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
annmarie said:
Thanks for all your responses to my insecurities! :D We certainly plan on continuing with our homemade gift tradition, because, well... we love it, and it really is "us" and we definitely put so much more thought and love into our baskets then we do a Made in China foot massager, or a Chia Pet! ;) Now to get this thread back on track, the new exciting item I'm planning on experimenting with for our baskets this year is candied spiced walnuts. Someone gave them to us last year around the holidays and they were so good, and then when I bought my slow cooker recipe book, there was a recipe for candied spiced walnuts! So if all goes well in the experiment, that will be going into the baskets. (My father loves walnuts more than any human being I've ever known so he'll get an extra large portion!)
AnnMarie:
What if you created a really nice card with some heartfelt feelings in it, or old pictures from previous christmases and telling you rfam how much they have always meant to you-- that to you, that's what christmas is all about- love not $$?
I was thinking of framing some old pictures (like 30 years old black and white ones of my hubby and his sister) and having him write some sappy memory- or a picture of a tree they had when they were little...
Anyway, I guess what I am saying is that it's the thought that counts, or it SHOULD be, anyway
Hugs to you
Christina

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Laskaland, what a great idea on the pillowcases! I think I will get some made for ds#2 as he is short for his sheet sets in pillowcases & I have remenants that are the right size.

Laskaland

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Laskaland, what a great idea on the pillowcases! I think I will get some made for ds#2 as he is short for his sheet sets in pillowcases & I have remenants that are the right size.
<<Claps!>> Glad I could help. Would love to see a picture when you get 'em done!
Christina

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Will have to dig thru my tote of material, in fact I think I have some checkered(black & white)material that will match the flags I am making him too. The only gifts we will buy the kids are from Santa this yr(3 ea). Although we have a few toys in a box out in a shed that ds#1 had & we forgot to recycle with ds#2(like the little people farm & airport) that we can clean up & wrap up for dd & ds will not be any the wiser as he never saw them. We even have a toss across game out there we can regift to him form Santa all I need to do is make some new bean bags which will be a piece of cake. Christmas is getting cheaper & cheaper this yr!!!!
:woot