What Are They Thinking...??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
banning soda off the food items list wouldn't matter

I know a story of a woman who takes ALL her food stamps, goes in buys the best cuts of steaks, roasts, etc.....goes out into the parking lot and sells them for 1/2 price to the people waiting for her to check out.

just for the cash

so you can't ban all foods....doesn't matter what it is if a person wants cash for any reason (drugs whatever) then they can get it

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As far as "working for it" and having a check at our fingertips...I am pretty sure that we have paid our fair share of taxes (and military service) in order for us to get a couple hundred dollars worth of money to go to the grocery store.

no CJW--apparently you didn't qualify

it is not govt assistance to get thru seasonal hard work times unless you qualify for the requirements...simple as that.

1/2 the country is seasonal work, or some type of work that is not constant etc etc

I feel for ya....it happens to many people....then on top of no income problems hit like your truck. But it is not a reason to be ticked off that you didn't qualify for some extra money from the govt for assistance.

you hit a horrible time but to be ticked off that you couldn't get food stamps during that time just isn't feasible...you either qualify or ya don't

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had to use the system for a bit due to the fact that I was a single mom and was going to collage-but I got out when I finished school-I am not one of those "lifers" that have kid after kid and train them to work the system..:he
But check out this link-
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/michigan/Pop-goes-the-tax-payers-Bridge-Card-
This gal here needs to be put in jail for card fraud! it so sucks that they can do this and get away with it.. :somad
Sure there was times where I got something special on my food stamps for my Mother but she would then get me diapers(which back then were not covered, neither were any toiletries.).

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If all the houses on your lane were for sale Duppydo I would buy yours. I can plop down an intex pool in the middle of all that glorious plantings,and watch my chickens as I swim,lol.

I sometimes have realtors come by and give me an estimate on my home.All my edible plantings in the front and back are considered a negative.Lawns are still in. IMO you just have to wait and someone like-minded would see the value in what we have done with the yard.

All those blueberries and asparugus-yum!

My grandma in Hungary had a very small yard,BUT it had the following trees in addition to a huge garden-walnut,apple,cherry,pear. I remember a a child going out into the yard and picking my breakfast. I see the value in what she had.I see it now.If we had a do over for home purchase I would look for homes with grown fruit/nut trees.

Atleast you have no serious city restrictions on your yard.I was agasht to learn that in some places they will fine you over front yard gardens and weeds.Boy I would be in serious trouble for both!

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does it make me weird to want to be SS but have some fancies in life too? :hide assuming we could afford it, i'd love an inground pool, a nicer fancier car, a nice trimmed front lawn. But in the back i'd love a chicken coop, a huge garden that supports our family through most of the year, a pond to stock with fish, sheep, a cow, etc.?

Is it weird for me to want to drive a nice car, but go home and make cheese? Because I enjoy being SS but also enjoy those silly life pleasures?

Everyone does have different priorities. It may not seem like the American dream to you, but it is to them. That's whats so great about the American dream...is it's different for every single American :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd like somewhat of the same thing....luxuries where they count and SS lifestyle when it is do-able. Makes perfect sense to me!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I want to see that pond once you stock it w/fish, sheep and a cow!

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:lol: what you don't have aquatic sheep and cows where you live? Well jeez...