What Are They Thinking...??

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Anybody that went looking in my buggy much would get reaalllly confused. I eat vegetarian, love whole grains and beans, cook most my food from scratch, eat lots of veggies, and barely drink soda.
My hubby drinks soda constantly, is a devoted carnivore, salsa is the closest he comes to veggies most days, and Saltines or commercial bread is pretty much it for grains. The only foods we have in common usually are cheese, butter and eggs.
He is so set in his ways, that if all the food in the cupboard was healthy "ingredients"- he'd starve. If he doesn't see something he wants, he will skip eating. That gives his even less nutrition than the stuff he usually wants. :he He has 3 food groups, meat, sugar and salt . . . and wont change. I know that I will probably mourn him later, but he says life isn't worth living if you can't live the way you want to. :he He is mostly a great guy, so it is a shame.
Some of the people with too much processed food in those carts may be hating that fact themselves. Please try not to judge, cause you can never know the whole story of somebody else's situation.

If Uncle Sam was stocking the cart- the soda would stay and most of the other processed foods. Their agribusiness buddies don't want to lose the $$$ on all that subsidized corn, soy and sugar, you know. The food stamp offices have pamphlets on nutrition for anybody that wants them, but Uncle Sam is still making it profitable for the companies to make garbage that is lousy for us. I'd rather have more veggies and less HFCS.
Sorry about the rant.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I guess I got upset because of 2 reasons.

1. My husband pays large amounts of taxes-that we could have used to buy groceries-to provide unhealthy foods for someone else.

2. At the time we didn't qualify, we were living on very little due to truck maintenance, repairs (truck fire, transmission failure, and rear end work), and down time. No one from the government would help us. There are no exceptions for those who have paid into the system for the last 15-20 years, who have had a couple rough months and had never asked for a dime before.

I never said anyone was a beggar. Some people NEED assistance. I understand that, but the system isn't very good at getting people OFF of it.

If the government can provide guidelines for WIC, they would be quite capable of making some guidelines for SNAP.

The bigger picture is health. Time after time, you see causes for disease...Poor Diet. Our seniors now are in much better health than what this next generation will be. It will stress our current system more than we can imagine.

Doctors offices and hospitals are going to (and already are) be over-run with people who are ill from their diet choices and are in the emergency room.

There is something wrong with the bigger picture.

There is nothing "elite" about requiring those who are on assistance to follow guidelines. It is more economically sound for the future, IMO.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a quck FWIW ---

Most times you can't tell much about how I eat based on what's in my cart anyway. I tend to shop sales and stock up -- sometimes I stock WAY up if it's a price I don't expect to see again and I have a means of storing the food.

Sometimes I may be buying nothing but ice cream and soda -- if only the ice cream is really cheap so I buy several months' worth, and I desperately need a new 2-liter bottle for the bunnies. Maybe I'm going to buy that week's veggies at the other market with better prices.

I aim for that "you saved x-dollars" on the receipt to be about twice what I actually pay. That means shopping around, knowing prices, and stocking up. If I am FORCED to shop for a few days' dinners only, I can pretty much say I'd be paying 2x as much for them, even looking for sales, as I would using my usual shopping methods.

That's probably not a common thing, but I just wanted to toss it out there. I NEVER eat frozen processed dinners, but I bought 4 boxes on sale last week so I can tuck them away at work. They are supposed to provide lunch for us and usually it is good but ... Sometimes I think I'd do better with the frozen meals, LOL. Since I don't know the menu in advance, it seemed most practical.

My point is, if you tried to guess how I ate based on my grocery cart, you'd be way off much of the time. For what it's worth. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I just wanted to share a little something I saw at the grocery store the last time we went yesterday.

A little nice thing!

When we parked the car I noticed two "extra" spaces near the front of the store with Reserved signs on them. The spaces were reserved by the store (with a cute pink and blue stork sign) for pregnant women and new mothers!

What a great idea. :)

Anyone who has ever been pregnant remembers how hard it was to grocery shop when you are in the last trimester. These ladies have a hard time walking just like people with a disability, yet they get very little special treatment at stores or shops. Hy-Vee at least seems to get it! (AND they now have a huge gluten free section! :ya)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our Harris Teeter has done this for many years
cool idea to be kind huh?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D I got to use a "new mom/pregnant" spot when we were in San diego at a HUGE mall, it was fantastic and I was HUGELY pregnant :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
1. My husband pays large amounts of taxes-that we could have used to buy groceries-to provide unhealthy foods for someone else.

2. At the time we didn't qualify, we were living on very little due to truck maintenance, repairs (truck fire, transmission failure, and rear end work), and down time. No one from the government would help us. There are no exceptions for those who have paid into the system for the last 15-20 years, who have had a couple rough months and had never asked for a dime before.
I totally understand!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

I totally understand!!
everyone pays taxes

if hubby paid alot in taxes, then you made alot of income....did you truly spend correctly to keep your life in order to pay for those repairs? Should someone be controlling your income to be sure you spend wisely so you don't have to suck off the govt system?

if you pay $5 or $35,000 you don't have a right to say how it is spent when received thru govt programs down to the penny......I mean last penny, the recipent to the level of control. Thru voting etc. you can sway what happens to your tax dollars....but total control of your tax money will not happen. I say to myself--live with it lol

why should someone in rough times get help? not a family alive hasn't had rough times....you need some cash to get out of those rough times, is the govt. supposed to just hand you money to get going again for your personal rough times. No....you must meet requirements to truly suck out tax dollars to be put in your pockets to get help.

what did you OWN when you had these rough times? You probably had alot more than any other person accepting help from the system.

just cause one finds themselves in hard times and does have alot in their life, doesn't mean a check is at your finger tips without having to work for it just cause ya paid into the system.

my tax dollars---I vote to sway what I want done with them, but we are funding a huge country....not everything is rosy in it at all