WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thechickcrew said:
Today I am canning chicken. I love canned chicken in a casserole or chicken salad.
So when you can the chicken what do you put in w/ it? How do you do it?

I was just discussing this w/ my mom last night. I know my grandma used to do it (I remember from when I was a kid) but she's not around anymore to ask.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Me personally, I just followed the recipe in my Ball canning book. Cooked the chicken in a bit of broth, then boiled the broth with some water and salt/pepper to taste, the pressure cooked it in the jars. I haven't tried it yet, but am looking forward to it!

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just cut up the chicken, put it in a big pot, cover the chicken w/ water, and cook it until the water gets hot. Then I put it in the jars and process at 10 lbs. for 90 minutes.

I don't add any broth or salt to mine. I have always processed it this way and haven't had any trouble w/ it yet. I have only had compliments on my chicken salad.

Also I can the broth after all the chicken is out of the pot. This comes in handy with soups and dressings. Also, I add no salt or seasonings. But you can if you want to. :)

Latest posts