WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of dried beans, @waretrop I ran across something the other day that I was not aware of. If you soak and cook your dry beans in hard water, the skins can be tough... unless you add salt to your soaking water. It seems that the pectin molecules in the skins are tightly bound by calcium and magnesium; the salt replaces some of these ions, causing the pectin to weaken and the skins are less likely to burst during cooking.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This:
A176F412-4646-4F51-A4F2-E676F2E2D942.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, your tomatoes are awesome to see!

I picked my first grape tomatoes this AM....while not as huge, they were first homegrowns in 4 yrs, so I am thrilled. Lots more on the vines. I carried them inside to take a pic for remembering....promptly ate them!

I cropped the pic to make them look bigger :cool: :lol:
0713171046.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a smart man right there! ;)

Yes indeed he was... I miss sitting & talking with him... But he's in a much better place now and lived a long and happy life... He was the wisest man I've ever known. Everyone needs a wise man or woman friend in their life. Older people are so full of wisdom and even more willing to share it. All you have to do is just listen and learn, take a true interest and be a friend.

I have a buddy up the road who is quite old and also very wise. He likes to wood work the same as I do. He came by when we first moved in wanting to buy a bunch of maple wood that I just so happened to have. But that little voice inside me said "don't charge him, give him what he wants" so I did just that and he has repaid me many times over not in money but in wisdom and food. He has grape vines and pear trees which he gladly shares with us. I.like to spend hours just sitting and talking with him and help him with things he needs done. He's so full of wisdom and I try and suck it up like a sponge and be someone who he can trust and depend on.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got 6 more qts. of soup out of the crop, for a total of 11 qts. and 22 pts. Better than I put up last year, though I used some of the tomatoes last year for salsa. Pretty pitiful compared to how many we used to be able to grow and put up on the same space. Just been bad tomato years these past few.

I've decided I'm going to put a wide shelf across one wall of the pantry, up high over the door, to hold all our various counter top appliances, large kettles, pans and sundry so I can free up the shelves on which they currently reside for holding canned goods.

I'll buy some shelf brackets this next Tuesday and an appropriate board for it. Needs to happen...NOW. Got to find a place for the canned meats and broths that are coming.

Latest posts