WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh....my.....goodness....

The meal plans changed, so I had the newly canned mushrooms with sautéed zucchini and yellow squash, just with salt and pepper.

Wife's feedback cooking them - Opening the jar, they don't have than canned fart/sulfur smell. They are NOT the grey limp memory of fresh mushrooms.

My feedback - the texture held up well, still a very meaty mouth feel. Lots of flavor in them.

10/10 would do again and definitely recommend

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the 1/2 pints of gizzards didn't seal tight. Found out when I was washing them to put them on the shelf. Another good reason to wash with hot soap and water before storing.

I know all the lids had pinged before washing them and I wash them one by one with a hot soapy washcloth and then rinse under hot running water. This jar, I noticed the lid was popped up after rinsing, and then the seal pinged back down when I tapped it while I was drying it. Nothing leaked out, so it probably would have been fine but to me that said it was a weak seal. I didn't want to risk having a bad jar of meat in the cabinet - so I stuck it in the fridge to eat at lunch. Yummy!
The top was sealed, but it opened relatively easy compared to most of my home canned stuff, so I made the right decision.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20220522_230842.jpg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I purchased a 20 # box of peaches. Not cling free. They were $40. This was the best price I could find. They were delish however. I waited until they were medium ripe and some spots were molding. I cut, simmered in a light sugar liquid and then water bathed them yesterday. We will enjoy good fruit this winter and the light syrup is a delight.
IMG_1774.JPG

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of dried beans, @waretrop I ran across something the other day that I was not aware of. If you soak and cook your dry beans in hard water, the skins can be tough... unless you add salt to your soaking water. It seems that the pectin molecules in the skins are tightly bound by calcium and magnesium; the salt replaces some of these ions, causing the pectin to weaken and the skins are less likely to burst during cooking.