WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh....my.....goodness....

The meal plans changed, so I had the newly canned mushrooms with sautéed zucchini and yellow squash, just with salt and pepper.

Wife's feedback cooking them - Opening the jar, they don't have than canned fart/sulfur smell. They are NOT the grey limp memory of fresh mushrooms.

My feedback - the texture held up well, still a very meaty mouth feel. Lots of flavor in them.

10/10 would do again and definitely recommend

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the 1/2 pints of gizzards didn't seal tight. Found out when I was washing them to put them on the shelf. Another good reason to wash with hot soap and water before storing.

I know all the lids had pinged before washing them and I wash them one by one with a hot soapy washcloth and then rinse under hot running water. This jar, I noticed the lid was popped up after rinsing, and then the seal pinged back down when I tapped it while I was drying it. Nothing leaked out, so it probably would have been fine but to me that said it was a weak seal. I didn't want to risk having a bad jar of meat in the cabinet - so I stuck it in the fridge to eat at lunch. Yummy!
The top was sealed, but it opened relatively easy compared to most of my home canned stuff, so I made the right decision.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20220522_230842.jpg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I purchased a 20 # box of peaches. Not cling free. They were $40. This was the best price I could find. They were delish however. I waited until they were medium ripe and some spots were molding. I cut, simmered in a light sugar liquid and then water bathed them yesterday. We will enjoy good fruit this winter and the light syrup is a delight.
IMG_1774.JPG

Latest posts