What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I need to check my sage. Pineapple sage sounds delicious....next time I get a plant I will check that out.

lostsoulhelpmejebus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
After drying my tomatoes in a dehydrator, would it be possible to put them in a seal-a-meal and seal them with olive oil in the bag? I would like to try it but I do not want to spoil any of the tomatoes I have worked so hard to dry.

I have never dehydrated onions. May I assume you are peeling and slicing them? Do you separate the rings or leave them in whole slices? I have ALOT of onions to dig and most of them are sweets that will not store, drying would be great, I think!

Not trying to hijack the thread...just hoping to get some info.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lostsoulhelpmejebus said:
After drying my tomatoes in a dehydrator, would it be possible to put them in a seal-a-meal and seal them with olive oil in the bag? I would like to try it but I do not want to spoil any of the tomatoes I have worked so hard to dry.

I have never dehydrated onions. May I assume you are peeling and slicing them? Do you separate the rings or leave them in whole slices? I have ALOT of onions to dig and most of them are sweets that will not store, drying would be great, I think!

Personally, I would put the dried tomatoes into glass (but then, I am trying to rid my life of plastic; not working as well as I'd like unfortunately :(). I would keep the bulk of the tomatoes in a tightly covered glass jar, and make up a smaller jar of tomatoes, herbs, etc. in oil (no garlic; botulism danger!), just enough to be used in a few weeks. Make up more as needed. That way you can also reuse the oil, so you won't need as much.

I usually chop peeled onions before drying, though some others do slices. Best to do the dehydrating outdoors if possible. I also would not dehydrate anything else at the same time in the same machine, except garlic. May be overcautious of me, but I'd rather not take the chance of onion flavored apple slices, for example :lol:

lostsoulhelpmejebus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ORChick said:
lostsoulhelpmejebus said:

Personally, I would put the dried tomatoes into glass (but then, I am trying to rid my life of plastic; not working as well as I'd like unfortunately :(). I would keep the bulk of the tomatoes in a tightly covered glass jar, and make up a smaller jar of tomatoes, herbs, etc. in oil (no garlic; botulism danger!), just enough to be used in a few weeks. Make up more as needed. That way you can also reuse the oil, so you won't need as much.

I usually chop peeled onions before drying, though some others do slices. Best to do the dehydrating outdoors if possible. I also would not dehydrate anything else at the same time in the same machine, except garlic. May be overcautious of me, but I'd rather not take the chance of onion flavored apple slices, for example :lol:
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate the helping hand. :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The sweet onions dry WONDERFULLY!! I basically peel and clean the onions then run them through the food processor. The sweet onions get even sweeter and store very well indeed.

When you dry them do them alone and if at all possible somewhere OUTSIDE of the house! The first time I did it I turned on the dehydrator and went to work. When I got home the whole was so onion-ie your eyes began to tear when you walked in the door!! :hit

Oh and welcome to the forum! :frow