What are you DEHYDRATING today?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Left over celery and bell peppers from a big batch of Sloppy Joes I make and froze. I try to remember to stick things in the dehydrator rather than let them go bad.
Had a nasty shock though- one of my dehydrators has died- it was fine when I put it away from last season- waaaaaaaaaaaaa :hit

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Fruit leather. I ordered more trays for my dehydrator, I can't wait, apple season is here!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok, you all are having too much fun without me!

I busted out the dehydrator (DH's) and read the manual.

I would like to make a few batches of elbow macaroni but have no instructions on drying time. Any ideas?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Back in the day when I had an Oster Kitchen Center.... :lol:

I would press out the elbows, run a line of fishing filament through them and hang them in the pantry to air dry. Which, as I recall, took a day or two.

I have never dried them in the dehydrator. You might be able find directions in the manual, but I would think air dry would be less expensive than running the dehydrator.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm drying more tomatoes. Started them in the car this afternoon and brought them inside and turned on the deydrator for the night.

When I do peaches I make a mix of juice of one lemon, a bit of honey and a little bit of water, maybe 1/4 c. Then I dunk the peaches in there, then put them on the trays to dry. It helps keep the color.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thank you, FarmerDenise! Do you do that with peach chunks, slices or halves?

I am doing probably my final load of mint, hoping for 1 more gallon before giving the mint patch a rest :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think I will attempt some shredded potatoes to use as hash browns. I have a bag of spuds that were are not going to be able to finish off.

I am assuming they will oxidize...so should I do a brief soak in tap water with lemon?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So my spuds are shredded, soaked, rinsed, dried and placed in the dehydrator trays.

My question...does the vent on top need to be open? I am thinking it should be shut to keep the heat in but DH thinks it should be open to release the moisture.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
alot of cayenne pepper (if i spelled it right). I have a ton of it this year the pods are from 6to 10 inches long and as big around as my pinky finger and HOTTTTTT :drool as crap. I guess i got it all just right this year. daddy always said chicken manure will heat it up and im just using it for insect repellent and pepper sauce so the hotter the better right.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am so far behind!!! I have sage in the dehydrator now, and just picked all my hot peppers. I will dehydrate the cayennes to grind up later.