What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The ziplocks, yes. With the PumpNSeal, you put a tiny hole in the top of the jar lid, with a resealable tab on it. I have never used one, but the web site makes it look like you can use them over and over. And it's under $40, some places $14.95. It's a hand pump.

You can reuse FoodSaver bags as well.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Thanks...I am on a tight budget....I wont be able to get any of those but I have zip locks and regular canningjars. :) any other ideas?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I often use old canning jars!

The vintage green ones or ones with a small flaw that makes the jar not want to seal properly, work great for my dry goods. I pair these with plastic storage lids from Ball or just a used seal and ring that I have painted to identify them as being used. (I use spray paint for metal and just spray the top of the lid). Those old jars look very nice in my glass door fronted kitchen cabinet.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I filled two dehydrators with tomatoes last night, but it looks like they might be getting moldy! Probably too much moisture in the air from all the rain we had. I'll be checking them later and toss out the bad ones. I hope it isn't all bad.

I shucked all our sweet corn today and put it in the sun to dry. Also put the shucked popcorn, and sunflower seeds in the sun. It is such a waste if they get moldy.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
delia_peterson said:
I have my dehydrator. How do you store your dehydrated foods? Do you store them in single servings? or just measure out what you need and reseal? Thank you! :hide
Delia - I have a severe glass jar collecting problem - any glass jar coming through my house is checked for its feasability as a storage jar. I come by it honestly; my mother had the same problem, and now I have some of her jars! All of my dehydrated foods find their way into jars, as do commercial packages that have been opened - half bags of noodles, or beans, or just about anything else.
Because, as well as having a glass jar collecting problem, I also have an occasional mouse in the pantry. And pantry moths.
I don't do anything special, just put them in, screw the lid down tight, and keep them them in a cool, dark place. Scoop out what I need when I need it, and screw down the lid again. For some things (especially out of the bulk bin at the store) I will put the filled jar into the freezer for a few days to kill any "hitch-hikers.
Ziplocs may take up less space, but jars are prettier. And they aren't plastic.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I put dry foods into the freezer for a day or two to prevent bugs then transfer them into any jars.

I like the idea of painting the used lids.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You can also pasteurize dried foods in an oven for a short time at 160 degrees.

I also tend to keep heavy duty plastic bottles like the kind juice or vinegar come in. They are great for storing beans or dry goods like macaroni.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:droolI dehydrated carrots, apples and turnips today. Also froze sweet potatoes, canned applesauce and squash. It sure feels good to sit for awhile!

mamagardener

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to dehydrating, and I have a question about beef jerky. My question is when drying beef do you have to use jerky cure? My dehydrator came with three packets of it, and I was wondering if I need to buy more or is there a recipe someone has where you don't need it.

Latest posts