What are you DEHYDRATING today?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You can also freeze hot peppers. They are still penty hot, especially habaneros. We grew them 2 years ago and still have plenty in the freezer.

I dried apples yesterday. They are so flavorfull. I had used the few apples the dog left me from our tree and then some of the apples I picked at a friends house. I'm going to wait for the rest of them to turn a little less green and do another batch.

Today I am dehydrating gypsy peppers. I have tons of red ones and they are so nice in stews and soups. Plus I am working on gathering up my christmas gifts that I will be mailing to my parents and siblings. They will be getting dehydrated foods and herbs and seeds.
I know they really appreciate it, especially since they live in a totally different climate than I do. My parents live in upstate NY and you New England folks know how bad the weather was for growing tomatoes and such.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My birthday present to myself came today: The Excalibur. The economy model, to be sure, but at least I am not using the oven or breaking the Mr. Coffee, or solar drying in the fall, which would not work. And at least I am not using my cardboard box dehydrator which got so hot that I actually burned the carrots.

Nope, today I dehydrated six pounds of frozen peas and two pounds of frozen corn. I was too excited to get fresh, and I do tend to use more dehydrated frozen vegetables than most anything else...which is probably going to change now that I have my baby.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
My birthday present to myself came today: The Excalibur. The economy model, to be sure, but at least I am not using the oven or breaking the Mr. Coffee, or solar drying in the fall, which would not work. And at least I am not using my cardboard box dehydrator which got so hot that I actually burned the carrots.

Nope, today I dehydrated six pounds of frozen peas and two pounds of frozen corn. I was too excited to get fresh, and I do tend to use more dehydrated frozen vegetables than most anything else...which is probably going to change now that I have my baby.
Happy Birthday !
I'm curious about this cardboard box dryer, and the solar dryer too.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I ended up with 3 quart jars of dried sweet peppers. Yesterday I zested a whole lot more lemons, which I put in a 1/2 pint jar today.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Ldychef2k!

Great present! The first things you need to try are some of those sweet onions, finely diced celery, leeks and mushrooms. (Warning: Do the onions where it is well ventilated)

I keep a nice large supply of those things on hand to make cooking a breeze!

With me the dehydrator came first and then the herb garden! I also love fresh dried herbs and I make my own teas from mint, lemon balm and blackberry leaves. You are going to love your dehydrator!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes, all !

So far, I have dried apple slices, bell peppers, carrots and frozen: corn, carrots, left internal mammary artery beans, peas, mixed veggies. In the wings: peaches.

You are right about the herb garden! I only have one container of basil and one of thyme, but in the spring that will change!

I have started maybe 25 fennel plants for the winter, which is going to be SO wonderful to dehydrate !

Onions...I just bought 20 of them and hope to do them on the patio tomorrow. Green onions have doubled in proce recently, so they will wait.

I wonder when I plant leeks in zone 9? They are one of my favorites.

Yes, I am going a little nuts. Like that's a surprise !

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Thanks for the well wishes, all !

So far, I have dried apple slices, bell peppers, carrots and frozen: corn, carrots, left internal mammary artery beans, peas, mixed veggies. In the wings: peaches.

You are right about the herb garden! I only have one container of basil and one of thyme, but in the spring that will change!

I have started maybe 25 fennel plants for the winter, which is going to be SO wonderful to dehydrate !

Onions...I just bought 20 of them and hope to do them on the patio tomorrow. Green onions have doubled in proce recently, so they will wait.

I wonder when I plant leeks in zone 9? They are one of my favorites.

Yes, I am going a little nuts. Like that's a surprise !
In zone 9? Just about anytime, I would think; right about now would probably be good. When I lived in zone 9 I put off starting my Spring seeds until Jan. 1st - only because of all the festivities, not because of the temperature. And leeks don't mind colder weather. Go for it. What will you lose? At most a few seeds.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You are exactly right. What have I go to lose but a few seeds ! Think I will give it a shot.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Frozen veggies for my end of the world pantry: Peas, yellow corn, white corn, green beans, mixed veggies, broccoli, carrots, and frozen hasbrowns on sale at the canned foods store.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Rosemary

I had to bring in my potted Rosemary plant the other night, so I pruned it back quite severely and took it upstairs to my sewing room to winter with the Lime tree under the roof window. I dehydrated the prunings to use on winter lamb and chicken dishes. Yum. :drool

And the house smells wonderful!! :celebrate