What are you DEHYDRATING today?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been a dehydrating FOOL lately...maters, onions, celery, carrots, maters, onions, celery, carrots, maters, onions---you get the idea. :bun

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Quick question about dehydrating- can you dehydrate ginger root? I love adding it to my kombucha, but the root I bought and am keeping in the fridge is growing mold. I sliced off the mold and it looks OK, but can I dehydrate it so it keeps? Anyone tried it?

Also, anyone know how to grow ginger root? Can I grow it indoors in a big pot? It probably won't live outdoors around here.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Valmom, I can't think of any reason that you couldn't dry the ginger. I would slice it thin first. However, if you want to keep it more like fresh then just peel it and cover it with alcohol - I use vodka or light rum as they don't interfere with the taste. Others use sherry, but I didn't like the result when I tried that. I buy a year's worth of ginger at a time (when I visit my favorite Indian grocery in California - 59 cents a pound!), and put it all up in alcohol; it gets a little darker over time, but still has the same flavor and texture as fresh. There was a recent discussion here somewhere about growing ginger; don't remember where though, sorry.

Found it! http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9781

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Ooh, good idea about the alcohol! Thanks. Now I need more vodka- I used up the whole bottle on blueberries and raspberries for liquer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Found a food dryer at goodwill for $5.99 :D

Dried a batch of zucchini chips. They are good, but not great. I will try different seasoning next time. The lemon pepper I used was meh, but I can see it has potential. There are sweet 100 tomatoes in there now :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Drying some sweet corn as a test to see how it compares to the dried corn I grow up with.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Drying some sweet corn as a test to see how it compares to the dried corn I grow up with.
Hey Jamie, tell us how you use the dried corn.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Boogity said:
FarmerJamie said:
Hey Jamie, tell us how you use the dried corn.
Let sit covered, in water overnight. Add a little sugar, let simmer for a couple of hours, and thicken with a little cornstarch towards the end. It's just one of those family side dishes I remember as a kid at holiday time. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Hubby is dehydrating hot peppers to make flakes for seasoning meals. ;) Look another SS success for my hubby. :woot

Latest posts