What are you DEHYDRATING today?

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at drying something other than herbs in the dehydrator I got free on CL, bananas, zucchini, & turnip chips.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
String algae :D. My pond produces quite a lot. The ducks love it and are getting plenty fresh, but it thought it might be a good idea to dry some for Winter. I just draped it over some clothesline. I might try purslane too.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mushrooms, turnips & zucchini are out, thinking of drying/adding some bell peppers, onions & herbs and using as veggie soup mix. I put in some blueberries and green grapes in the empty trays, the bananas should be done soon, then I'll start peach fruit leathers in those trays :) this is fun. I hung some herb bundles for tea (peppermint, anise hyssop, pineapple sage and lemon balm) over the dehydrator, it smells like a culinary wonderland in my kitchen.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
garden pixy said:
This is my first attempt at drying something other than herbs in the dehydrator I got free on CL, bananas, zucchini, & turnip chips.
Once you get started you will be HOOKED! :thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Rhettsgreygal said:
Can you dehydrate celery?

thanks
You bet your booties! I LOVE it! :love

Just clean it well and then into the food processor. Finally place the shreds on the dehydrator trays and dry until crisp, but still retaining its color. Great for soups, stews, tater salad etc... I always by several bunches when the organic celery goes on sale. We eat what we can fresh then dehydrate the leftovers.

This year I will have my own crop from my garden. :cool:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was wondering if the smells and flavors mix, when you dehydrate in your car. Like, if I dry peaches, tomatoes and onions at the same time, would the peaches have an oniony smell/taste? I'm gonna try doing tomatoes tomorrow, but I have other stuff I could do too, if it would be OK at the same time. Will my car smell like onions? Any experienced car-dehydrators out there?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would think not with a car, but you could always do the stinky things separately. :hu

You do have that trouble to an extent with a forced air dehydrator, since you are circulating the stinky air past the other foods.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never had any noticeable exchange of flavors when I use my dehydrator. I have an American Harvest, one of the round types, with the motor and fan at the bottom. However, I don't dry onions or garlic at the same time as anything else, so I don't know how that would work. I do know that the onion/garlic aroma can get very strong - I put the dehydrator out on the deck, and do a full load (12 trays) of just those 2 things (enough to last me at least a year). Personally, I would not dry onions in the car. I like the smell of onions, but I can imagine that that would get pretty intense.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am dehydrating myself today. :/ It's FREAKIN HOT!!!! I needs wata!!

Seriously though..apples :p

Latest posts