What are you DEHYDRATING today?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool, mine is an American Harvest as well, with 8 trays. Thanks for the info

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm doing jalapenos, celery, and cucumbers, and canning sweet relish.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
How well do jalapenos rehydrate? I plan to do some, but wondered if I'd have to grind them for things, like I do my habaneros?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Wannabefree said:
How well do jalapenos rehydrate? I plan to do some, but wondered if I'd have to grind them for things, like I do my habaneros?
I use them in my hellfire sauce for chicken. They don't really "rehydrate" completely, but if they are in something moistly cooked, they do fine. I drop them in chilli, salsa to can, hellfire sauce, and soups and such.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Any tips on dehydrating potatoes? The book just gives the basic how to directions. It says just slice them, blanch them and dehydrate. While looking at other sights I see it recommended to actually cook the taters and put in fridge overnight before slicing etc.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
Any tips on dehydrating potatoes? The book just gives the basic how to directions. It says just slice them, blanch them and dehydrate. While looking at other sights I see it recommended to actually cook the taters and put in fridge overnight before slicing etc.
I partially cook mine whole, then put them in the frig overnight, just to make them easy to handle. I always worry that, if I only blanch them, the middles will turn black when I dehydrate. I do a lot of my potatoes in hash browns, so that could potentially be a huge mess for me :/ Yukon gold potatoes, dehydrated as hash browns, are just SO pretty in the jars :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
SSDreamin said:
Wannabefree said:
I use them in my hellfire sauce for chicken. They don't really "rehydrate" completely, but if they are in something moistly cooked, they do fine. I drop them in chilli, salsa to can, hellfire sauce, and soups and such.
Better do half dehydrated (to add to things) and half canned. DS#2 has become addicted to eating jalapeno slices on almost everything, but I can already hear him whining because the re-hydrated peppers don't look 'normal enough' :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SSD we eat alot of jalapenos as well, and I always can some. I have 4 quarts of slices, and 2 quarts of whole ones canned prior to drying any. That's half of what we need :lol: DD15 and niecey 8 sat in there eating plain pickled jalapeno peppers yesterday after lunch :rolleyes: Those kids need a hobby besides eating!! :p I'm suprised niecey joined in the snacking on peppers, but she had her kool-aid on standby at all times :gig

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My okra just atarted producing, had a very very small mess of fried okra last night. I cut up one, rolled it in season salt and it is in the dehydrator. If dried okra makes a nice snack, I will go to the local farmer's market and just buy some to dehydrate. Can't wait to try it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, tried the drhydrated okra, it was good! Took a small baggie to our daughter (who as a child would eat the raw okra before I fried it) and she pronounced it her new favorite snack. Going to the local farmer's market tomorrow morning..........