What are you DEHYDRATING today?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Spent a bit of time cleaning out the veggie drawers in the 'fridge, and now have a bit of chopped celery, a couple of trays of both sliced and chunked carrots, a couple of trays of sliced summer squash, half a tray of sliced mushrooms, and a couple of trays of shredded cabbage in the dehydrator. And I have several large onions waiting in line, but I will wait till everything else is finished, and then move the machine outside before drying those. Will most likely do a couple of trays of sliced garlic while the machine is outside.
I am planning on oven roasting/drying a pan full (or two, if I have enough) of tomatoes in the next couple of days -- http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2006/09/roasted_tomatoe.html --- I did this last year, and it was a hit.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tomato peels..Whirl in the processer and have tasty tomato flakes

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kale Chips and they were so good I have eaten half of them already.

Sun dried tomato & nutritional yeast kale chips

1 Large bunch of Kale stems removed and torn into large pieces
1/4 c. sun dried tomatos soaked in 1/2 c. hot water
1 C. raw cashew pieces soaked in water until soft and drained
1 Large clove garlic
1T. good quality olive oil
Fresh basil to taste
2 T. fresh lemon juice (bottled just wont do)
2 T. nutritional yeast
salt to taste

In a blender or food processor add all of the ingredients except salt and puree till smooth. Add salt to taste. Pour mixture over the kale and mixwell with hands until the kale is evenly coated. Dehydrate for about 12 to 14 hours at 100 to 105F or until crispy. Try not to eat the whole dehydrator full. These things are so expensive in the store, over $5.00 for a few ounces.

I have a friend that uses almonds and italian seasoning for another version of this chip and its just as good.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am stoked! :weee I ordered a dehydrator for myself yesterday; just a smaller one since I am totally new to this. But I can't wait to try some of these yummy sounding recipes.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone know if, when making fruit leathers, the fruit HAS to be pureed? I was thinking about my Cranberry Orange Apple Walnut Relish that I make at Thanksgiving. The fruits are ground in one of those old hand crank food grinders so it's still in tiny chunks, and I love it so much, I was thinking it would make a great fruit leather. But it wouldn't be smooth. Think it'll still work as a fruit leather or does everything have to be smooth? I just got my dehydrator a few days ago and am trying to think of things to put into it in the future.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
Does anyone know if, when making fruit leathers, the fruit HAS to be pureed? I was thinking about my Cranberry Orange Apple Walnut Relish that I make at Thanksgiving. The fruits are ground in one of those old hand crank food grinders so it's still in tiny chunks, and I love it so much, I was thinking it would make a great fruit leather. But it wouldn't be smooth. Think it'll still work as a fruit leather or does everything have to be smooth? I just got my dehydrator a few days ago and am trying to think of things to put into it in the future.
One way to find out -- try it! Maybe do one sheet; if you don't like the texture then grind the next batch a bit (or a lot) finer. The nice thing about dehydrating is that there are hardly any rules (unlike canning). Get an idea for how dry is "dry", and then you can pretty much do whatever you want. (For example - usually fruits are dried till pliable; veg. dried till crisp. Get a book - library - or look online to get an idea, and go from there) If your relish leather doesn't please you dried, then put it away until the next time you might want to make it fresh again, add a bit of water, and there you are! Dehydrating something may or may not turn out from a taste/texture point of view, but you are unlikely to make anyone sick with your experiments --- Caveat: meats and fish might be an exception. I would definitely do a bit of research before experimenting here.

ETA - You do realize that you need to give us the relish recipe now, don't you? ;)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Half way through the taco rocks. Took a break and dried some jalapeno, Thai and super chili peppers. Now, just walking into my kitchen makes my eyes water :lol:

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As promised - Fresh Raw Cranberry Relish

12 oz. pkg. fresh cranberries
12 oz. apples (winesap, MacIntosh, or Roman Beauties) - cut into wedges and cored, but NOT peeled
1 whole orange - cut into wedges, but NOT peeled
3/4 C. sugar (I prefer 1/2 C.)
1 C. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

With hand grinder, grind cranberries, apples, and orange (peel included). Stir in sugar, nuts, and all juice that dripped from the grinder (I always put a chair with a bowl under the grinder), and
refrigerate. I usually make a double recipe. I HAVE to have it at Thanksgiving and Christmas - as long as there are cranberries in the stores - love, love, love it! It also works using frozen
cranberries if you grind them while frozen.