What are you doing with leftover turkey?

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Me want turkey..
our thanksgiving is over
I got the biggest turkey...15kg...the cooking charts didn't even go that high...
got it free with my points...so I picked the biggest one I could find...
never seen sich a huge turkey neck or wishbone...
becuase it was free...I splurged and covered it all over with bacon and pancake syrup...
oh my goodness soo good...
don\t think I will ever cook one that size again...Was HEAVY...and I had an oven to clean afterwards...
:plbb :tongue :hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
myzanya said:
Me want turkey..
our thanksgiving is over
I got the biggest turkey...15kg...the cooking charts didn't even go that high...
got it free with my points...so I picked the biggest one I could find...
never seen sich a huge turkey neck or wishbone...
becuase it was free...I splurged and covered it all over with bacon and pancake syrup...
oh my goodness soo good...
don\t think I will ever cook one that size again...Was HEAVY...and I had an oven to clean afterwards...
:plbb :tongue :hu
Did I read that conversion chart right? 15 kg = 33 pounds ??!!!! That's one huge turkey!!! :lol:

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took 1/2 yellow onion and cooked in a little olive oil until tender. Added a little garlic. In went about 2 cups of chopped up breast meat, then a can of drained corn, then the left over noodles and gravy, finally about a cup of potato chunks. A little salt, a generous amount of ground pepper.

Yummy! That was dinner tonight - Made use of quite a few leftovers on that one.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We love turkey around here,so much so that my DH is thawing another one so we can make a turkey wrap.(take a raw butterflied turkey breast,stuff with favorite stuffing,roll up, wrap in what else bacon, and bake).

We do all the usual leftovers-soup, hash,broth,ect. Anything I can do with chicken I can do with turkey!

As for the recipe with cranberry sauce-we make meat balls, the sauce is a can of cranberry sauce and bar b-q sauce, this is soo good!

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are having Shepard's pie, which is the same as turkey hash topped with mashed potatoes. Tomorrow, turkey enchiladas. Sunday, Turkey noodle soup. I cooked a 14 lb turkey for the three of us, and I put enough turkey, dressing and yams in the freezer for four more turkey dinners.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Yes, I have a can of jellied cranberry sauce that's now had an anniversary on the shelf. A friend of mine said she saw a recipe for meatballs and gravy in the crockpot that uses cranberry sauce...and maybe brown gravy? She's not home now to scrounge up the recipe for me.
I buy cranberry jelly by the case during the holidays when it is on sale. My son (Mr. Super-picky-eater) absolutely LOVES it ~ he calls it cranberry pudding.

Here is my recipe for the crockpot.
Mix a can of cranberry sauce (whole or jellied) with a package of dry onion soup mix (or equivalent homemade) and pour over meat of your choice in crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. It is excellent over ham or chicken breast. I am sure it would be good over meatballs as well.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember that my mother would sometimes get the canned cranberry jelly. I don't remember whether I liked it or not; I rather suspect not, as I was so pleased to find out in my teens sometime that I could mix up something much nicer on my own :lol:. I have 2 standard cranberry sauce recipes that I do every year: one with horseradish and sour cream (my favorite), and a sweet one with orange and cardamom.
However, for those of you with picky eaters, who will only eat the canned stuff, you might find this interesting: http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/11/home-canned-cranberry-sauce-made-in-a-tin-can-mold/

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last night the last of the turkey went through the hand grinder and I mixed it up into turkey salad. I can't wait for lunch time...I have two slices of homemade bread to toast and have with the turkey salad. I also have homemade sweet pickles and a dish of cranberry-orange relish. DD took turkey salad with crackers for her lunch.

I had forgotten how much I like turkey salad. My grandmother always ground turkey and ham and had it in the freezer. When we would visit on Sundays, she would take out a container and mix up salad and serve it with her homemade buns.....yum!

I have also fallen back in love with my hand grinder (my grandmother's). I decided to use it to grind my cranberries instead of the food processor and came to the realization that it does such a better job than the food processor or my electric grinder on the Kitchenaid....and my kids love to crank it.