What are you fermenting today?

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, does sauerbraten fit the definition of fermenting? I've made that and corned beef brisket plenty of times. The salt and cabbage kraut was so good in the quart, we went to the 3 gallon bucket. Tried a jar of kraut turnips; DH likes it, but I still don't like turnips.

I can't do the whey due to allergies; but that stuff sounds good.

Real Root Beer? Now that sounds good.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, i bought a head of cabbage and want to make sauerkraut.... problem is i dont know how. Ive read a few recipies, but im still kinda lost. What are the basic facts that i need to know. Isnt it pretty simple?? Cut up the cabbage, put in salt and water and let it go??? Please help......

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started on brandied fruit the week of Thanksgiving. Had our first helping yesterday ... wowee! Just as good as I remembered it from childhood. (Fruit + sugar + time + stirring daily)

thefluiddruid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rd200 said:
Well, i bought a head of cabbage and want to make sauerkraut.... problem is i dont know how. Ive read a few recipies, but im still kinda lost. What are the basic facts that i need to know. Isnt it pretty simple?? Cut up the cabbage, put in salt and water and let it go??? Please help......
The recipe I use just uses salt and cabbage.
I make it in a 2 gallon food grade plastic bucket.
Shred 1 head of "head cabbage" (not Bucchu or Nappa Cabbage), and lay a thin layer in the bucket and sprinkle salt over it and repeat until all the cabbage is used up. Keep pounding cabbage down every 30 min. to an hour with a potato masher until the natural juices from the cabbage cover it.

Fill a gallon ziplock baggie with lightly salted water (in case it leaks into the cabbage) and put it on top of the (now wet) cabbage to keep it under the juices.

Let Momma Nature do her thing for a few days. (How many will vary depending on the temperature of the room it is in.)

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so how long does it take for the juices to cover the slaw?? ive pounded mine before i put it in the jar (1/2 gallon canning jar) for about 10 minutes with the salt then transfered to the jar and pounded again in jar and its not sitting on my counter. How long will it take for the juices to start filling up the jar??

thefluiddruid

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rd200 said:
so how long does it take for the juices to cover the slaw?? ive pounded mine before i put it in the jar (1/2 gallon canning jar) for about 10 minutes with the salt then transferred to the jar and pounded again in jar and its not sitting on my counter. How long will it take for the juices to start filling up the jar??
I usually make it in the bucket, and I don't transfer it until there is enough liquid to cover it.
It takes several hours for the salt to pull enough liquid from the cabbage.
At least if you just sprinkle a little salt on each layer. I would think that using more salt would speed up the process, but I'm a heart patient and have to watch my salt intake.

Here is an interesting video on making Kraut.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks. I certianly think there is enough salt in it. I LOVE salt. So i probably have enough in there to kill a small horse!!! Oppps. I probably should've waited to do it till tommorow instead of starting it a few hours before im going to bed. oh well, First try, cant be perfect on the first try

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thefluiddruid said:
rd200 said:
so how long does it take for the juices to cover the slaw?? ive pounded mine before i put it in the jar (1/2 gallon canning jar) for about 10 minutes with the salt then transferred to the jar and pounded again in jar and its not sitting on my counter. How long will it take for the juices to start filling up the jar??
I usually make it in the bucket, and I don't transfer it until there is enough liquid to cover it.
It takes several hours for the salt to pull enough liquid from the cabbage.
At least if you just sprinkle a little salt on each layer. I would think that using more salt would speed up the process, but I'm a heart patient and have to watch my salt intake.

Here is an interesting video on making Kraut.
Here is a way of making Kefirkraut which does not use salt. I have Kefir Grains if anyone wants to try this, PM me and we can talk about how to get some to you.
I have put Kefir whey in with bok choy and a sm. amount of salt and within 5 days it tasted like very green kraut. I ate it within 2 weeks. I enjoyed it.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirkraut.html